Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe and it is so culturally rich and interesting that definitely worths a 2-3 night stay. There are so many things to do in Athens and so many attractions that you may end up coming back to explore more attractions and museums.
Like any other European capital, Athens is no exception to an abundance of museums and culturally rich attractions for any type of traveller (solo, couples, honeymooners, seniors, families, kids etc)
I was actually born and grew up in Athens so below I am going to give you all the ins and outs of this fascinating city!
So, in a nutshell the best things to do in Athens are:
- Visit Acropolis Temple (book a tour here)
- Visit Acropolis Museum (tickets here)
- Walk in Plaka and Monastiraki areas (Plaka on Google Maps)
- Visit the National Archaeological Museum of Greece (I highly recommend this tour but you can totally go on your own)
- Visit Benaki Museum (on Google Maps)
- Visit the Museum of Cycladic Art (on Google Maps)
- Visit the National Historical Museum (on Google Maps)
- Watch a movie under the stars in an open air cinema (called “summer cinemas” in Greece)
- Visit Cape Sounion Poseidon Temple (this tour is great)
- Explore the nightlife of Athens in Gazi, Keramikos and Syntagma areas
- Visit a greek bakery; they are everywhere!
- Try the greek cold coffee called “freddo cappuccino”
- Eat souvlaki (the most famous greek street food)
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Let’s Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all Greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options