If you are researching where to stay in Naxos, then you are already in a very good place as Naxos is a very unique greek island that never gets too touristic or crowded with so many good areas to stay. Hopefully, my guide will help you decide the best place to stay on Naxos island in Greece, but you should understand that the island is pretty big and my advice would be to rent a car to move around 😉.
BEST HOTEL IN NAXOS: Nissaki Beach Hotel
Naxos is the 10th largest greek island (in area) and the largest in the Cyclades group of islands and it’s one of my favourite islands since I first visited it. So, this is where to stay in Naxos (Jump quickly with the links below or keep reading):
- Best Place To Stay In Naxos (Overall)
- For First Time
- With Family
- For Couples
- For Seniors
- For Nightlife
- For Beaches
- For Winter
- For Budget Hotels
- Without a Car
Because Naxos is so big, the place and the area you will stay on the island can really make or break your holidays on this very beautiful greek island.
Get my secrets for Greece and Santorini in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Where to go in Naxos
Naxos is a relatively big greek island but it’s not that developed or spoilt in my opinion, which makes it ideal. Santorini, Mykonos or even Paros have all seen much more tourism development in recent years but Naxos has remained relatively as it used to be 10 or 20 years ago.
The great thing about Naxos is that it doesn’t actually have a super expensive area (like Santorini has Oia, for example) and then less expensive areas, so most hotels are located either in or around Naxos Chora (the capital of the island) and in the beautiful long and wide beaches south of Chora (Kastraki, Agios Prodromos, Plaka, Agia Anna etc)
So, to put it simply this is my advice on where to stay in Naxos:
- If you want the vibes, the nightlife, the restaurants and the main transport hub, stay in or around Naxos Town.
- If you want the beach life and some more family-friendly, stay in Stelida, Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna, Plaka, Agios Georgios or Kastraki
- If, on the other hand, you want a more quiet area up on the mountains, stay in the super cute Apeiranthos village.
I strongly suggest you rent a car in Naxos because it’s a big island and you’d better be flexible if you want to explore it in the most efficient way and be as flexible as possible. However, the local buses are pretty reliable and can take you to most areas on the island.
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT NAXOS:
- Best Place To Stay in Naxos: Naxos Town (or Chora) – it has the best vibes overall, the best restaurants, the best nightlife and it is the main transportation hub of the island so you can take a bus to the best beaches on the southwest side fairly easily.
- How to Book a Hotel for Naxos: go to Booking.com and make your choice with the right filters. Airbnb has far fewer available rooms and villas for Naxos and all greek islands to be honest.
- Best Sunset Views in Naxos: if you are looking for sunset views in Naxos (why wouldn’t you?) then you must stay on the western side of the island which is also the best side of the island anyways, with the most accommodation options
- Naxos Town or beach-side areas: in my honest opinion Naxos Town (Chora) is a much better option if you want to explore the island in the best way possible as it has the best vibes overall but it is not as cute as other Cyclades islands capitals, to be honest. If you are visiting the island as a family, I believe you should stay close to one of the best beaches on the island and not in Chora, such as in Agia Anna or Kastraki, as you will have an amazing sandy beach on your doorstep (ideal for kids, isn’t it?)
- Naxos Beaches: If you want to be close to a sandy beach then Naxos is the perfect island for that with some of the best (and longest) beaches in Cyclades and in Greece such as Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Kastraki, Plaka, Agios Georgios and Mikri Vigla, which are all super family-friendly with golden sand. The best beaches on the island are mostly on the south west side and only a few kilometres apart from each other.
- Cheapest Hotels: you will find most of the best budget hotels of the island in or around Naxos Town in general
- Best Family Place in Naxos: Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Plaka, Agios Georgios, Kastraki and Mikri Vigla, are great places to stay if you are visiting with a family or with kids and in all of these you will be meters away from a massive, long and golden sand beach
- Most Romantic Place to Stay in Naxos: I wouldn’t say Naxos is the most romantic greek island overall but if you want a cute, quiet and different place then stay in Apeiranthos village (many times voted as one of the ustest villages in Greece)
- Steps and stairs: there are no high cliffs and steps in Naxos so you won’t have any issues anywhere (Apeiranthos is an exception to that)
- Best Alternative Places to Stay in Naxos: Apeiranthos village is my favourite alternative place to stay in Naxos as it’s a super cute little village on the top of the hill, in the centre of the island; admittedly you won’t be very close to a beach but Apeiranthos village has some of the best vibes on the island
- Naxos Bus: Taking the local bus to get around on Naxos is a great option as they are reliable and relatively frequent and on time. The main bus hub of the island is in Naxos Town (Chora) and the tickets cost between 2-4 euros depending on the destination. However, it goes without saying that by taking the bus you waste more time waiting and planning ahead. A car will always give you more flexibility to move around on the island and because Naxos is a big island then you would probably be better off with your own vehicle.
Best Place To Stay In Naxos (overall)
The best place to stay in Naxos is Naxos Town (or Chora) because it has the best vibes overall, the best restaurants and the best nightlife on the island. On top of that, it is also a 10 minute drive from the best beaches in Naxos such as Agia Anna, Plaka and Kastraki.
The best restaurants in Naxos, are also located in Naxos Town but there are a few more scattered all over the island to be honest. However, Naxos Town is not that cute as other Cyclades islands capital towns such as Fira, Mykonos Town or even Parikia but it is very well connected to the rest of the island and it has the best vibes overall and the most available options when it comes to accommodation.
BEST HOTEL IN NAXOS TOWN (CHORA): Arco Naxos
Naxos Town or beach ?
Naxos Town is the capital town of Naxos and the main transportation hub for the island. This is also the main port of Naxos, with all ferries departing and arriving on an hourly basis in the summer months (HIghspeed, BlueStar, Seajet Ferries).
All the beach side areas such as Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Plaka, Kastraki, Agios Georgios and Mikri Vigla, on the other hand, are ideal for beach life and being close to beach restaurants and beach bars if that’s what you are looking for.
Stay in Naxos Town (Chora) if:
- You are visiting any month between November and April as most other places on the island will be deserted and closed (all beach side businesses are open only between May-October)
- You generally want more budget-friendly options in accommodation
- You don’t have a car and you will be taking the Naxos local bus to move around
On the other hand, if you want to stay close to a beautiful sandy beach with lovely tavernas and beach bars on your doorstep you should stay in Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Kastraki, Plaka or Mikri Vigla
- You want to be as close as possible to long and sandy beaches
- You are a family with kids
- You want to experience the best sunsets on the island
Best Place for First Time in Naxos
In my opinion, Naxos Town, which is the capital of the island, is ideal for people visiting Naxos for the first time as it will give you the opportunity to be where all the vibes are and also allow you to visit the western beaches of the island much quicker. Naxos Town is not the most picturesque Cyclades capital as I have previously said, but it ticks many boxes when it comes to first timers and it has everything, from good restaurants, budget-friendly hotels and the best nightlife of the island.
Where to Stay in Naxos With Family and Kids
Being a father to two lovely (but very cheeky) girls has taught me one thing: the best playground in the world is a beach! The closer you are to a beach in Greece, the better time your kids will have on holidays. So, if you are anything like me and you are visiting Naxos with your young kids, then staying close to a beach is the best thing you can do. I recommend the southwest beaches, such as Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Plaka, Agios Georgios, Kastraki and Mikri Vigla.
BEST FAMILY HOTEL IN NAXOS: Nissaki Beach
Best Place for Couples in Naxos
The great thing about Naxos island is that it is ideal for many occasions and visiting the island with your other half is one of them as it never gets too crowded. If you are looking to get away from the crowds of Santorini and Mykonos then Naxos can actually be the perfect island as it ticks every single box for a couple in my opinion. There are quite a lot of things for a couple to do on the island and because it’s a fairly big island it’s very diverse. You may only know the Santorini wineries but you’d be surprised to know that Naxos is home to two incredible wineries (Terra Grazia and Saint Anna) that are ideal for a couple’s visit while on the island. But apart from the wineries the sunsets and the restaurants of Agia Anna and Agios Prokopios are super romantic and relaxing without being overly touristic. Finally, my favourite spot of the island is Apeiranthos village which has been voted one of the cutest villages in Greece many times throughout the years.
BEST HOTEL FOR COUPLES IN NAXOS: Milestones
Best Place for Seniors in Naxos
I strongly believe that Naxos is ideal for seniors and old couples holidays because its towns are flat overall, it has great amenities and restaurants (mostly in or around Naxos Town) without being extremely busy and crowded such as Santorini or Mykonos. It is also ideal for middle-aged couples looking to get away from the tourist crowds of the other Greek islands as it can be driven easily, it has great food, it has its own domestic flights airport and it has excellent amenities overall with super cute villages and some of teh best beaches on any greek island.
BEST HOTEL FOR OLD COUPLES IN NAXOS: Nissaki Beach
Best Place for Nightlife
The best place for nightlife in Naxos is Naxos Town (or Chora) as it’s the place with pretty much 99% of the nightlife of the island.
There are a few beach clubs and beach bars in the beach side areas of Agia Anna or Agios Prokopios but if you are really looking to be close to all the night action you have to stay in Naxos Town. To be honest, Naxos is not an island famous for its parties and clubs but there are some really cute bars and cocktail bars in the capital town of the island that will make a good night out.
BEST HOTEL IN NAXOS TOWN: Arco Naxos
Best Place for Beaches in Naxos
Hands down, the best area in Naxos to enjoy the amazing crystal clear waters and the lovely golden sand is either the southwest side of the island and the areas such as Agia Anna, Agios Prokopios, Plaka, Agios Georgios, Kastraki and Mikri Vigla. Overall, the island is home to some of the best beaches in Cyclades and if you have a car you could even the more remote ones such as Apollonas or Azala.
BEST BEACH HOTEL IN NAXOS: Iria Beach Art
Best Place for the Winter in Naxos
The best place to stay in Naxos during the winter or low season months of November, December, January, February, March and April is without a doubt Naxos Town (or Chora).
The main reason for that is that this is pretty much the only place that stays busy during the winter months.
Winter in Naxos is considered the following months: November, December, January, February, March and April
You won’t be able to swim in the sea if you are visiting Naxos in any of these months. The seawater will be too cold for most people’s standards.
So, the best thing you can actually do is stay in the liveliest town, which is, by far, Naxos Town (Chora). There will still be open restaurants and hotels all year round in Naxos Town.
The great thing about winter in Naxos (and in every greek island, to be honest) is that you should expect to pay far less for your accommodation as prices are considerably lower.
The other benefit is also the fact that most areas will be really quiet with not that many people around.
But the weather can be windy and cold (5 degrees Celsius for example) though it might be sunny!
BEST HOTEL IN NAXOS TOWN: Arco Naxos
Best Place for the Budget Hotels in Naxos
If you are looking for more affordable (but decent and clean) hotels in Naxos island then you should stay in Naxos Town anyways. Overall, Naxos Town has the most hotels options but you may find some cheaper hotels anywhere on the island or even up on the mountains in Apeiranthos or Filoti as these are villages that are less touristic but also very remote.
BEST BUDGET HOTEL IN NAXOS: Spiros Hotel
Best Place in Naxos Without A Car
Driving on any greek island can be challenging with lots of unexpected obstacles (donkeys, horses, ATV’s or even other drivers…) and increased difficulty as you may have to drive on very narrow roads with old asphalt and minimum side protection.
So, if you don’t want to drive at all in Naxos, then you should stay in Naxos Town because it is generally close to the beaches on the west side and also the main transportation hub of the island, with all local buses and available taxis ready to take you pretty much anywhere on the island. If you stay in Naxos Town you can even walk 20 minutes and visit the nearest (and very good) beach of Agios Georgios or if you dare walk for about 1 hour to get to Agios Prokopios (I do not recommend that during the summer heat though but it’s still doable).
So, there are the best places to stay in Naxos!
Naxos is one of my favourite islands because it ticks many boxes and it is never as busy as some other Greek islands with overtourism nowadays (I am looking at you Santorini and Mykonos). There is a general relaxing, family-friendly and slow vibe all over the island that also has some of the best food in Cyclades (forget seafood in Naxos and go straight to lamb and beef plates…you can thank me later).