The Best Hotels in Meteora are mostly located in Kastraki village, which is very close to the famous Meteora rocks and the monasteries or in Kalambaka Town. You basically have these 2 options for places to stay in Meteora. Meteora (along with Acropolis and Delphi) is in the top 3 attractions in Greece and one of the most breathtaking landscapes in the world.
BEST HOTEL IN METEORA: Doupiani House
BUT ALSO CHECK:
Meteora is one of the most unique landscapes in Greece and Europe. I highly recommend you visit it if it’s your first time in Greece, and if you missed it the first time, then go ahead and do it the next time! Meteora has been the background set for many blockbuster movies such as “James Bond: For Your Eyes Only” and it’s one of those nature wonders that you have to see with your own eyes to believe that they actually exist (in my opinion, Niagara falls is another one…I had the same feeling when I visited it).
Meteora is a bit far from Athens and it’s not that straightforward to reach it. You have to take 2 buses to get there and it’s a long way.
So, there are 2 ways to reach Meteora from Athens:
- Take the KTEL Bus from Liosion Bus Station in Athens to Trikala town. Once you reach Trikala (4 hours drive) you then have to take another bus to Kalambaka town (20 minutes).
- BUT I highly recommend you just book a guided tour which will take you by train to Kalambaka and then with a private van to Meteora where a licensed guide will escort you and explain to you what you are seeing in all the different monasteries
Get my secrets for Greece in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Best Hotels in Meteora
So, without further ado, let me show you the best hotels to stay in Meteora, both in Kastraki and Kalambaka town:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT METEORA
- Best Area To Stay in Meteora: The best area to stay in Meteora is in Kastraki village which is next to the famous rocks and monasteries, but you can also stay in the nearby (larger) town Kalambaka. See Hotels in Kalambaka
- Best Hotel in Meteora: Doupiani House
- Best Villa in Meteora: Historic House
- How many days do you need in Meteora: unless you really need to explore the area and go for hiking I don’t think you need more than 1 night in Meteora but you can also do it as a day trip from Athens (but it would be a bit tiring to be honest as it’s a 5-hour train and bus trip.
- How to Get to Meteora: you can only get to Meteora by bus or by driving; it is a 5 hour trip either by bus or car and in order to get the KTEL Bus to Trikala you have to go to Liosion Bus Station in Athens and once you get to Triakal town you need to take another bus to Kalambaka town
- Best Tour For Meteora from Athens: I highly recommend a day trip from Athens to Meteora because it si the best way to see the monasteries and the area. This day trip is the best.