Chances are you are trying to figure out which greek island is better for you to visit, right? This is the ultimate comparison guide to choose Mykonos or Santorini this year.
As you know, Greece has no shortage of amazing islands to visit. Did you know that there are actually more than 2000 islands? Only about 200 of them are inhabited, so that narrows it down a bit, but still… I know how hard it can be to choose one to visit for your holidays.
Santorini and Mykonos are the 2 most famous Greek islands and possibly the most beautiful ones. So, if you can actually visit them both, it would be even better!
But what happens If you only have to choose one? Which one should it be?
Both islands are amazing and I am sure you can have a great time in either one of them? But let me get this straight to you:
If there is only one greek island you can visit in your life, then make it Santorini.
You won’t regret it.
It’s not that you won’t have a good time in Mykonos, it’s just that Santorini is much more diverse and it has a truly unique landscape. I have been to both places and I loved them both – for very different reasons. However, if you are struggling to decide, here is my detailed comparison guide to help you out a bit.
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Let’s Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
If I could sum up the island comparison in one table then it would be this:
|More attractions and sights||✔|
|Best Hotels||better service & facilities||more impressive views|
|Ideal for||Groups of friends||Couples|
|More Expensive||Super Expensive||Super Expensive|
|Best thing you can do:||Enjoy the sandy beaches & the amazing parties||Enjoy the dramatic views|
|Best tip:||Rent a car||Rent a car|
So, let’s see which island is better in every case, shall we?
Best Island for Attractions, Museums & Sightseeing: Santorini
Why: If you are looking for a destination with many things to do and places to discover, then Santorini is clearly a better choice than Mykonos. Santorini is not just beautiful beaches and tropical cocktails but a mosaic of cultural experience like no other in the world.
- Santorini is really diverse with lots of things to do.
- Mykonos has nothing more to offer outside of the triangle beach-party-food (nothing wrong with it though…).
- In Santorini you can do wine tasting in one of the 16 wineries of the island
- Santorini has more than 10 amazing museums or archaeological sites (including Akrotiri Prehistoric Site, a Tomato Industrial Museum, Museum of Prehistoric Thera, Archaeological Museum, Folklore Museum, Santozeum, Gyzi Mansion, Wine Museum, Art Space Gallery, Maritime Museum, Ancient Thera Site and a Museum of Fossils at Perissa)
- Mykonos has Delos island which is not really in Mykonos as it’s a different island. There are a few interesting museums in Mykonos but nothing really special (apart from Delos island which is awesome and really unique as a UNESCO heritage site). There is the Archaeological Museum of Delos, the Archaeological Museum of Mykonos, Lena’s Folklore Museum and the Maritime Museum of Mykonos
- Santorini has some amazing traditional cycladic villages like Fira, Pyrgos, Megalochori, Emporio and of course the incredible Oia town (which can easily be the only reason to visit Santorini anyways…).
- Mykonos apart from the main town called “Chora” (Mykonos City) which is lovely and very picturesque (with the amazing “Little Venice”) has nothing more to offer in terms of picturesque and traditional villages. You are basically limited to Mykonos City only.
- Santorini has 5 Venetian Castles and fortresses
- Mykonos has none of this but it has the cutest mascot: a pelican named “Petros”
- Santorini has an active volcano with one of the largest craters in the world, where you can actually take a tour on (!). You don’t get to see that everyday and it is the characteristic that makes Santorini’s landscape so dramatic and impressive.
Best Island for Beaches: Mykonos
Why: If you are a beach person and you imagine your holidays to be spent on the beach with your toes in the sand, then Mykonos is just the place for you. Let’s be honest here. Santorini is awesome but Mykonos has amazing tropical golden sand beaches. Moreover, beach clubs in Santorini are very relaxing and chilled out whereas Mykonos beach clubs re famous for their crazy beach parties.
- Santorini has only volcanic pebbles beaches (there is a red, black and white beach). These are very impressive to be honest but you won’t find any fine sand beaches in Santorini due to the volcanic stones that are scattered all over the island.
- Mykonos has more than 20 amazing sandy beaches with crystal clear turquoise waters. You can find a gay friendly beach, a cosmopolitan beach, beaches for nudism, beaches for partying, beaches for families and even quiet and relaxing beaches where you’ll basically be alone.
- Santorini’s sea waters can be quite deep. It is the kind of sea, where you take one step, two steps.. and you are in! No time to think about it.
- Mykonos sea waters can be quite shallow and are perfect for kids or seniors. It’s the type of beaches I like where you can walk and walk and you get to a point where you will be wondering “when is this sea water getting deeper?”
Most Romantic Island: Santorini
Why: This one is easy I think. If you are looking for a romantic destination, well…stop looking. You found it. It’s Santorini.
- Santorini is considered one of the most romantic destinations in the world and one of the top destinations for honeymooners. For a lot of good reasons: sunsets, views, food, cute villages…what else do you need?
- Mykonos was always considered a destination for singles rather than a destination for couples. That doesn’t mean you won’t have a good time if you visit Mykonos with your other half. Quite the opposite I would say.
Best Island for Partying & Nightlife: Mykonos
Why: Are you and your friends looking for a place to party? Then you should go to Mykonos. Hands down it’s one of the best partying and clubbing destinations in the world. It’s the greek Ibiza!
- Mykonos is considered one of the best clubbing and partying destinations in the world. The nightlife in Mykonos is u-n-r-e-a-l and it’s not limited only at night time. The party literally never stops at Mykonos City or at any of the beach Bars of the island (including the famous Super Paradise Beach Club)
- Some of the best DJ’s in the world perform every summer in Mykonos
- Mykonos is the place where greek spring breakers go every year…
- If you are single while visiting Mykonos and you are into party mode then you won’t get much sleep as the party goes on 24/7 (especially in high season May-October)
- Santorini has a decent nightlife but it’s literally nothing compared to Mykonos…
Most gay friendly island: Mykonos
Why: Mykonos is also super super gay friendly – not that Santorini is anti-gay, but Mykonos is famous for its gay bars, gay beaches and overall gay-friendliness .
- Mykonos is considered one the most gay friendly destinations in the world, with people arriving to the island since the 60’s.
- In Mykonos you will find some of the best gay bars (who doesn’t know the famous Jackie O’ Bar?) and gay friendly beaches in Greece (and possibly in the world)
- Mykonos even has some amazing drag shows in the summer. Priscilla is incredible!
- There are no designated gay bars or beaches in Santorini. But this doesn’t mean that the island is not gay-friendly
Best island for wine lovers: Santorini
Why: If you are looking to combine your holidays with wine tasting or any other thing wine-related, come to Santorini.Santorini is one of the best wine destinations in Europe and home to the oldest vineyard you will find in the continent.
- Santorini is considered the most unique (and underrated I have to say…) wine destination in the world
- Santorini has more than 16 Wineries and Wine Tours you can take. The wine tasting experience usually includes amazing views, amazingly refreshing local wine and greek meze/nibbles.
- Santorini’s wineries are top world venues for weddings because of their romantic settings and the stunning views
- Santorini has 1 of the 10 wine museums in the world (this one)
- The most famous local wine of Santorini is “Assyrtiko” variety which has received hundreds of awards all over the world. You can also taste the sweet port-like wine of Santorini called “Vinsanto”
- Santorini has this stunning winery
Best island for foodies: Santorini
Why: That’s a tough one to be honest but I believe that Santorini wins that one on the finish line because of the amazing views sme of its best restaurants have to offer. You don’t find that in Mykonos or elsewhere in Greece in such a volume. Plus: the amazing and booming wineries scene of Santorini
Most Expensive island: both!
Why: Both Santorini and Mykonos are super expensive (compared to other greek islands or other holiday destinations). Probably because they are so famous.But that does not mean that you you can only visit if you are super rich or that you have to save money for a lifetime to come over. You can visit both islands on a budget and still have a great time.
There are great offers if you come off season and cheap choices when it comes to food and accommodation. You just need to do a bit of research. This way you will also avoid the crowds and get a bit more privacy.
Best island for shopping: Mykonos
Why: Some of the most luxurious and well-known brands in the world have exclusive branches in Mykonos. Mykonos is a well known celebrities hotspot, too!
Best island for seniors or people with disabilities: Mykonos
Why: Santorini’s difficult terrain and thousand stairs villages are not the best for people with disabilities or seniors… Mykonos is pretty flat though and the amazing sandy flat beaches will be great for everyone (including kids). It’s not that seniors or people with disabilities won’t enjoy Santorini but I if you belong to this category then you’d better stay close to a beach (like Perissa/Perivolos or Kamari)
Which one is finally the best island: Santorini or Mykonos?
I am sure you would enjoy both, they actually complement each other quite well if you think about it. You could spend a few days in Santorini to enjoy the views, the sunsets, and the romantic atmosphere and then head to Mykonos and enjoy the beach life there, along with a couple of drinks…possibly : )
Now if I had to choose just one, I would go to Santorini, every time. If there is only one greek island you have to visit, then make it Santorini. You won’t regret it. It’s not that you won’t have a good time in Mykonos. But Santorini is a really unique place that you have to see once in your lifetime, not only in terms of views, scenery, hotels, amenities, restaurants, bars and shopping but in terms of pure natural beauty.
After all, you don’t get to wake up to a volcano view every day….do you?
Besides Santorini and Mykonos?
Ok…now we have established that Santorini and Mykonos are the two most popular islands in Greece. Santorini for the unique views and the endless romantic feeling and Mykonos for the fantastic beaches and the superb nightlife. If you have been to Santorini and Mykonos already and you are looking for another Greek Island to explore this time, I would suggest…….. (drum roll please) Crete!
Crete is a great choice because it offers diversity and a wonderful mix of history, tradition and breath-taking landscapes. Basically, Crete can match every taste. And it is the biggest greek island so you can take all the time you want to discover it. I shouldn’t forget to mention that the food in Crete is tasty beyond your wildest imagination. They have their own specialties that will blow your mind! What is there not to like?!
*Do keep in mind that you will be needing a car in Crete, as it’s a very big island.
I do hope my comparison helped you out a bit. As always, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. I strongly believe that no matter where you go in Greece, you will have a great time. And I am not just saying that because I am Greek. You will see, one time is never enough. The moment you land you will know you want to come back. To wrap it up, my final advice to your dilemma “Mykonos or Santorini?” would be: Well …. why don’t you visit Santorini this year and then go to Mykonos next year?
(Crete is scheduled for the year after 😀 )
* Christina from SantoriniPlus.net has contributed to this post
MORE TIPS FOR GREECE