Santorini is one of the most diverse greek islands and it’s not just a coincidence that it’s one of the top greek islands for couples and even honeymooners. Yes, this may sound cheesy but there are just so many romantic things to do in Santorini for couples that every day can be a different adventure!
Here is my ultimate list of the Best Things To Do in Santorini for couples and I really hope you have the time and the energy to do most of them.❤️
BEST THING TO DO IN SANTORINI FOR COUPLES: Luxury Sunset Cruise
The great thing is that Santorini is an island with probably the most things to do than any other greek island (for sure more tours and attractions than Mykonos island for example).
Where To Stay in Santorini
Best Boat Tours in Santorini
Best Romantic Santorini Restaurants with a view
Best Cave Hotels in Santorini
The best things to do in Santorini for couples are:
- Go on a Sunset Cruise
- Go for a Winery Tour
- Visit and wander the streets of Oia, Imerovigli, Fira and Pyrgos towns
- Have a seafood dinner at Ammoudi (Katina’s is the best restaurant at Ammoudi bay)
- Relax at Eros Beach and Theros Beach Bar
- Have a cocktail at Franco’s Bar at Fira and at Franco’s in Pyrgos
- Watch the sunset from Oia and Profitis Ilias hilltop
- Watch a movie under the stars at the Open Air Cinema at Kamari
- Visit and shop at Atlantis bookshop
- Visit the Ancient Akrotiri (alone or with a highly recommended guide)
- Enjoy the nightlife of the island
- Hike the path between Fira and Oia
- Swim at one of the best beaches of Santorini (Kamari,Perissa, Perivolos or Red Beach)
- Eat at a restaurant with a view
- Relax at Katharos Lounge
Let’s dive in and see the best things you can do while in Santorini:
1. Sunset Cruise & Volcano visit
Your trip’s highlight will almost certainly be the sunset cruise, so make sure you hop on one! If you’re wondering what the single finest thing to do on the island is, I strongly advise you to go on a sunset cruise. Hands down, this is the best thing to do in Santorini for couples. Take to the ocean to get a fresh viewpoint of the island. Santorini is famous for its spectacular sailing trips, which provide a unique perspective of the volcanic scenery and the famous sunset while. The majority of the sunset cruises leave from the island’s port (Athinios) and the most luxurious ones have on board meals and drinks.
These are the Best Sunset Cruises in Santorini (and I highly recommend booking online as these sell out quickly):
2. Wine tasting Tour
Santorini has been producing wine since the Roman era, and it remains one of the island’s most important exports. The island is also home to a growing number of world-class vineyards and wineries. Each and every one of the many wine excursions offered on Santorini will allow you to wander through the vineyards and learn everything about how wine has been made on the island since 1500BC. Only one winery in Pyrgos town should be on your list: the SantoWines Winery. To save time and money, you can take advantage of the convenience of an organized wine tour that will whisk you from one vineyard to another in a van (wine trail). This is definitely one of the best thing to do in Santorini for couples.
These are the Best Santorini Winery Tours:
4. Wander the streets of Oia and Fira
In Oia, Greece, the whitewashed houses with the blue shutters make it one of the most photographed sites in the world. It is perched atop a cliff overlooking the volcano of Palia and the islands of Nea Kameni. Oia’s history may be found here. With its blue-domed churches and various art galleries and taverns tucked away in the city’s small lanes, it’s hard not to get lost in the maze of alleys. If you ever get the chance to see the sunset from Oia, you’ll never forget it (even though in July and in August it might be super crowded). On the face of it, Oia is a popular destination for tourists, and it can feel crowded at sunset (at any time of the year). Oia is a spectacular location that must be seen in person to really appreciate its magnificence, no matter how busy or touristy it may appear at times. Unfortunately, the photos don’t do the place justice… Oia is still home to some of the world’s most luxury hotels (such as the Andronis Suites).
READ ALSO: Best Things to Do in Oia
Fira in my opinion is less picturesque than Oia but it has a more realistic vibe. Oia feels surreal sometimes and its picture-perfect architecture might be overwhelming to some. I do believe that Fira with its busy alleys, shops, bars and restaurants can be a better destination to have a nice evening or a dinner.
- How To Get To Oia: If you have your own means of transportation like a car, ATV or a motorbike it’s a 25mins drive from Fira (just before Oia you will be diverted because now the main road of Oia is only exit one way just to accommodate the crowds). There are several parkings where you can leave your vehicle (though not free; expect to pay around 3-5 euros for 5 hrs or so). You can always take the local bus of Santorini that departs from Fira regularly and it costs around 2 euros (one way)
- Oia on Google Maps
5. Watch the sunset from Profitis Ilias hilltop (yes…not from Oia)
Oia is said to have some of the most beautiful sunsets on earth, but as a matter of fact there are many spots on the island to take in the stunning pink and gold rays as the sun drops into the Aegean sea. The village of Imerovigli with its panoramic views is one, as is Vlychada beach with its volcanic scenery.They can be equally romantic and mesmerising…. However, my favourite spot is not one of the famous ones. I prefer to watch the sunset in Santorini from a different spot. This spot is on the top of a hill on a place where a monastery exists. It is called Profitis Ilias Monastery and it’s the highest point on the island. The view from there is s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g ! On the way up you will find the sign for the monastery of Prophet Elias, where a Greek Air Force radar also exists(it’s on the other side…nothing to worry about).
- How To Get To Profitis Ilias Hill: Unfortunately there is no local bus that can take you there, so you have to take your car or ATV to go. Just follow the signs from Pyrgos Village. The road to the top of the hill is narrow so be careful driving there:
- Profitis Ilias Monastery on Google Maps
6. Visit Eros Beach
Eros Beach and Theros Beach Bar is one of the best well kept secrets of the island. An amazing and extremely relaxing beach bar situated at the edge of a beautiful white rock beach with crystal clear blue waters. Eros Beach, apart from being an extremely romantic and seclusive place, I believe it is an ideal location to get away from the touristic madness of other spots of Santorini.
- How To Get To Eros Beach: Unfortunately there is no local bus that can take you to Eros Beach and that means you have to drive there by yourself. Just follow the signs to Vlychada Beach and then you will find a sign for a right turn to Eros Beach and Theros Beach Bar. Be careful though because the road that leads to Eros Beach is not paved with asphalt. You don’t need a 4×4 but just be prepared for that.
- Eros Beach on Google Maps
7. Visit Ancient Akrotiri
Ancient Akrotiri prehistoric town is one of the biggest archaeological discoveries in Greece and for many it is considered the Pompeii of Greece. It’s a whole town that was once inhabited by about 30,000 people. There is a massive (quite new) impressive rooftop that is now protecting the whole site while there are still archaeologists working on the area. This is one of the most important ancient greek civilisations and it is impressive how the whole city was vanished overnight due to the volcanic eruption of Santorini back in 16th century BC. Many people consider this town to be the inspiration for Plato’s famous story of Atlantis. The ticket costs 12 euros and I do recommend hiring a guide to take you around and explain in detail what you are actually seeing (not very clear to be honest…so a guide is totally worth it in my opinion).
- How to Get to Akrotiri Prehistoric Town: there is a local bus that can take you there from Fira (the capital). If you have your own vehicle you can take the the road to Perissa from Fira and then follow the sign on the right that will also lead you to the Red Beach. In total it is about 25mins drive from Fira.
- Akrotiri Prehistoric Town on Google Maps
8. Swim at the Black Beaches of Perissa and Perivolos
Perissa and Perivolos are basically the same long beach with tens of restaurants and beach bars options for you, to basically spend the whole day there. Perissa is the famous black beach of Santorini. There are lots of beach bars, tavernas, pizzerias and cafe places along the main beach road of Perissa and there are lots of sea activities too (diving school, jet ski rental places, beach volleyball courts). The black Beach in Santorini is the ideal location for kids and families as it’s literally the best spot for the children to play around and have an awesome day by the water. It’s a totally safe and awesome environment where the whole family can have fun and spend a beautiful day out. However, I should say that Perissa and Perivolos beach (aka “the black beach”) are not worth your visit during the winter in Santorini. Even though the amazing black beach and the sea is still there, most of the businesses , restaurants and hotels are closed between November and April every year, so it’d be good to have that in mind if you are not visiting Santorini during the high season (May-October). The weather is quite cold between November and April and you won’t be able to swim at the sea (you can definitely try if you want!!). You can certainly visit the beach but do not expect to spend any time there.
- How To Get To The Black Beach: there are many regular buses from Fira to Perissa and lots of bus stations close and on the beach road. If you have your own car or ATV it is a 20 mins drive from Fira to Perissa.
- Black Beach (Perissa) on Google Maps
9. Hike the trail between Oia and Fira
Some people consider this one of the best attractions in Santorini for very good reasons. It’s roughly a 2.5-3 hours hiking trail which can be a bit steep at some points but it’s definitely worthwhile doing as it will reward you with some of the best views of the island. It is not a difficult hiking tour but you definitely have to be in good shape. The Caldera Guided Hike is the best walking tour from Fira to Oia. Make sure you do the hiking early morning or late in the afternoon as in the summer it could be super hot and the sun may easily exhaust you. Take plenty of water with you and plenty of sun cream and…off you go! Or you can just hike early in the morning (especiall if it’s summer). This link provides all the details about the path itself, the starting and end point of the path and other info along the way.
10. Dinner at Ammoudi Bay
Ammoudi Bay is just a small picturesque bay just below Oia. This is where you will probably see some of the most crystal clear sea waters of your life!In Ammoudi you will find a few very good seafood restaurants like Katina Fish Tavern , Sunset Tavern and Dimitris Taverna where you will literally be seated next to the water. From Ammoudi you can take the long staircases path up to Oia. I know that taking the steps is tiring but please do not take a donkey up to Oia…This has been a major issue the last years and the good news is that there is some movement to stop this cruelty.
- How To Get To Ammoudi Bay: You can go to Ammoudi by going down the stairs from Oia or by driving through the road and park a few meters before the bay (or behind it). There is no local bus that can take you to Ammoudi and if you don’t have your own means of transportation you can just take a taxi from Oia or just walk the stairs down. You can then call a taxi from one of the restaurants at Ammoudi.
- Ammoudi on Google Maps
11. Relax at Katharos Lounge
Katharos Lounge is one of the most relaxing spots of the island and it is a vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant with amazing views over Katharos Beach. The building has a very unique energy and it was a hospital back in the mid 1900’s. Now, it’s a super relaxing lounge bar with mesmerising sunset views of the Katharos Bay. The couple that refurbished the whole building from the ground up also have a lovely story and they love cool music too. Unfortunately, Katharos Lounge on Katharos beach is not open between the months of November and April. It’s open only between May-October.
- How To Get To Katharos Lounge: There is no local bus that can take you there. You have to drive yourself unfortunately or take a taxi. If you drive yourself just follow the signs from Oia to Ammoudi and you will see a sign for Katharos on the right.
- Katharos Lounge on Google Maps
12. Buy books from Atlantis Bookshop in Oia
Atlantis Bookshop in Oia is one of the cutest and most famous bookstores in the world with a very inspiring story of a bunch of people who…just followed their dreams and did what they wanted most in life. Craig Walzer , one of its founders has even spoken at TedX Athens. The thing that actually bothers recently its owners the most is the fact that many people just visit the bookstore and don’t actually buy any books. People started seeing it more like a Santorini attraction rather than an actual bookstore and that is hurting their business who needs Santorini visitors to survive in the harsh economic environment of Greece. So, if you visit the bookstore don’t just take pictures and leave. Buy your beach books from their amazing collections and you won’t regret it…
- How To Get To Atlantis Bookstore: The bookstore is to your left side as you go to the main sunset location of Oia (just follow the crowds of the main street of Oia… you won’t miss it!).
- Atlantis Bookstore on Google Maps
13. Experience the nightlife at Fira town
You have certainly seen the amazing relaxing photos and the romantic pics from the island but the nightlife in Santorini is equally awesome and if you are in the mood for it, then Fira is the place to be! The best nightclubs and bars in Fira are : 2 Brothers, Tropical, Tango Bar, Koo Club, Enigma and Murphy’s. You should bear in mind though that all these places are only open during the summer high season which is between April-October. They all close down at the end of October and open up late April or early May so do check out their social media and websites. While the big clubs like Koo and Enigma are focused mostly on greek pop music , Murphy’s is focusing on mainstream international pop and hip hop music. These are basically the best options for solo single travellers but Tango Bar is considered a more posh option for a night out (with amazing cocktails and views).
Read More on my detailed guide: Nightlife in Santorini
14. Relax at Franco’s Lounge Cocktail Bar at Fira or Pyrgos
Franco’s Bar at Fira has been on the island since the 90’s and it is in my opinion the single best spot for a cocktail, listening to the most relaxing lounge and classical music you could ever imagine overlooking the famous caldera views. But Franco’s has a second location in Santorini and it’s at the top of Pyrgos town. This is an even better and less known spot to watch the amazing sunset from a different and less touristic spot:
- How To Get To Franco’s Bar: Franco’s Bar at Fira on the main road of Fira as you go down the street on your left hand side. It is very difficult to miss it. Franco’s Bar at Pyrgos is at the top of the village and that means you have to walk up there, next to the church that sits on the top. You can go to Pyrgos village with a local Santorini bus from Fira or with a taxi. It’s a 10 mins drive and then you obviously have to walk to the top.
- Franco’s Bar at Fira on Google Maps
- Franco’s Bar at Pyrgos on Google Maps
15. Watch a movie at the Open Air Cinema at Kamari
Obviously, if you are not from Greece you don’t actually know that open air cinemas are a thing. It’s a big thing! We actually call them “Summer Cinemas” in greek because they actually operate from May till September. This is where I have spent most of my Saturday’s summer nights as a kid growing in Greece… The Open Air Cinema at Kamari is one of the best and most famous ones in Greece and it is a great night out. There is even a bar inside the cinema so you can get a glass of Santorini wine and drink it along with some nibbles under the stars, watching a movie! Happy Days! Movies are always in English original audio with Greek subtitles. The doors open at 20:30 and the movie starts at 21:30.
BE CAREFUL THOUGH: Kamari Open air Cinema is only open in June, July, August and September. It then shuts down for the winter.
- How To Get To Kamari Open Air Cinema: The cinema itself is on the main road from Fira to Kamari and you can either take the local bus (there is a bus stop outside of the cinema) or you can drive there. It’s 15 mins drive from Fira on your right hand side as you go towards Kamari.
- Kamari Open Air Cinema on Google Maps
16. Eat at a restaurant with view
There is no shortage of amazing restaurants with stunning views in Santorini (this is the full list) and you will find yourself having a difficult time picking one or the other. However, these restaurants become very buys in July, August, and September and you do need to reserve a table well in advance if you really want to have the best views.
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
- If you are visiting the island for less than 4 days the best thing is to book a Santorini Tour with a guide that will show you the best of the island in a limited time
- Best Website To Book Any Tour in Santorini: GetYourGuide
- If you are coming on a cruise and you only have a few hrs in Santorini take a guided tour like this one
- You should definitely visit at least one winery and if you don’t have the time to visit a second one then visit Santowines Winery (Google Maps). You can also book a winery tour where a guide will take you around a few wineries and you don’t have to worry about transportation while…winetasting.
- You don’t have to pre-book every tour online but if you are visiting during the summer months of June-September then things get sold out and it’s a good idea to have everything booked well in advance.
So, there you are! The best things to do in Santorini for couples are very romantic and will definitely make you experience the island in a different perspective. There is definitely more attractions in Santorini than any other greek island so you will definitely have plenty of options, especially if you are visiting in the summer time. However, if you don’t have enough time for all of those things and you only have 1 or 2 days on the island then you should definitely do a sunset cruise, visit Oia and visit a winery (Santowines is the best). These are the must-dos for a short period of time.
MORE TIPS FOR GREECE