Santorini in April is a great island to visit but things are quite different on the island as it’s not high season yet. Here is everything you need to know, if you are looking to visit Santorini in April.
If you are planning to visit Santorini island in Greece in April, you should know that this is considered the “shoulder”season and it is usually the month when the Greek Easter occurs (it actually depends on the moon so it changes every year but it’s usually in April). The weather in April can usually be anything between 10-25 degrees Celsius and it can be cold, rainy and windy. April is the month when the businesses in Santorini are slowly getting prepared but are not yet all open.
BEST HOTEL IN SANTORINI IN APRIL:
April in Santorini is definitely a better month weather-wise compared to March, but it’s definitely not a hot month. Unfortunately, You are not going to get summer weather and you are not going to enjoy the awesome beaches in Santorini, as it would probably be too cold for most of people.
The island won’t feel crowded at all in April and you may only see a few crowds during the greek Easter long weekend. All beachside areas though will be closed in April, as May is the month that they are opening for business. Don’t get me wrong, there is still going to be some life in Perissa, Perivolos and Kamari but it’s going to feel deserted compared to July or August.
I will put it this way: if August is 120% busy for Santorini, then April is about 20% busy.
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW FOR SANTORINI IN APRIL
- NOT all businesses, restaurants, hotels, bars and shops will be open in April in Santorini
- April is considered mid-season for Santorini; some people also call it “shoulder season” along the month of May and October, because these are the months just before and after the high season of june, July, August and September.
- The weather in April in Santorini can be cold, windy and rainy but it can also be sunny and warm. You would definitely need a jacket even during the day and nights can be quite chilly, especially if it gets windy. Do not pack swimsuits if you are planning to visit Santorini in April!
- The sea water will be cold (at least for most people) and swimming in the sea might be challenging. Of course you can still swim, but it won’t feel nice and also, you will probably be alone on the beach. In general, nobody swims in the sea in Greece, in April!
- Because it’s not high season yet and most businesses will not be open I strongly suggest you stay in Fira as it’s the capital of the island with the most open shops and restaurants throughout the year. Alternatively, if you you are on the island during the Greek Easter long weekend (check the dates here) you can stay in Pyrgos village where there are spectacular and very unique celebration during the Greek Easter weekend.
- All of the beach bars in Santorini will be closed in April.
- Most of the restaurants in Santorini will be closed in April but Fira will still have many restaurant to feed you. Oia on the other hand will probably have only 1 or 2 restaurants open.
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Let’s Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
How is the weather like in Santorini in April ?
April in Santorini is pretty hot and dry. The temperature can be anything between 10-25 degrees Celsius (or 50-70 Fahrenheit) but it can feel cold, especially during the night because of the wind.
April weather in Santorini is not predictable and you may definitely get rain some days but you will also get lovely sunny days.
During the day, you will definitely need a light jacket (especially if it’s cloudy) so no t-shirts or shorts, unfortunately…
If it’s sunny though (and mostly towards the end of April) it may even get warmer and sunnier ☀️.
April in Greece is considered spring and not summer but the weather is still better than in the major European capitals (Paris, London etc). it’s still the Meditteranean after all!
Where to stay in Santorini in April ?
April is not high season and since mot of the businesses will be closed your options will be limited.
If you are visiting Santorini in April, I highly recommend you stay in Fira, which is the liveliest town of the island any time of the year.
Bear also in mind that the island will feel much busier and livelier during the long weekend of the Greek Easter , as most Greeks celebrate orthodox easter and they gather to their birth places and village from the big cities in mainland Greece (mostly Athens).
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to enjoy any of the famous Santorini beaches in April as the sea water is usually too cold and there is literally no life around. All the beach clubs and most of the hotels and restaurants will be closed during April. That doesn’t mean though that you cannot visit the beaches at all as they are fantastic anyways.
See also: The 25 Best Restaurants of Santorini
Here are some handy tips to have in mind when looking for hotel in Santorini in April (and not only):
For being closer to the other black beach with lots of restaurants and amenities: Kamari (no famous caldera and volcano views though)
For being closer to most of the Santorini wineries (and you don’t care about the famous volcano/caldera views): Pyrgos
What do I need to pack for a trip to Santorini in April ?
Forget about: swimsuits, bikinis, monokinis, Borat-kinis, speedos, Hawaiian flowery shirts, normal t-shirts, shorts, etc. You need to pack light winter or spring clothes. You need your jackets, your sweaters and your trousers. You need your sweatpants for those hiking tours and your comfy jeans. No summer clothes at all…
Is early April a good time to visit Santorini ?
April is a great time to visit Santorini (as it’s every month in my opinion) but it’s not the best month if you are looking for summer weather and beach life. It is a great month to experience the lovely greek easter celebrations in Pyrgos and all over the island but it won’t feel like summer.
The seawater is cold in April because of the previous winter months and all beach clubs in Santorini are closed in April.
The black beaches of Perissa, Perivolos and Kamari will feel empty and deserted that month.
See Also: Best Beaches in Santorini you MUST visit (even if you don’t swim)
Can I swim in Santorini in April ?
Unfortunately, not. You won’t be able to swim in the seawater in April in Santorini and most beach businesses, shops, bars, restaurants, tavernas, beach clubs and hotels at the famous seaside towns of Kamari, Perissa and Perivolos will be closed. They usually open in early May and close at the end of October.
April feels more like winter in Santorini.
What things I can do in Santorini in April ?
You cannot do everything you’d do during May, June, July, August, September or October as most businesses, tour operators and hotels will NOT be open. However, there are still lots of things to do on the island (and that’s the great benefit of Santorini in general)
- Visit the amazing Santorini Beaches for a walk and photos
- Wine tasting at any of the Best Wineries of the island (in April Santowines Winery and Venetsanos Winery are open)
- Visit the Akrotiri prehistoric ruins (open all year round)
- do one (or more…) of these things (depending on what is available in April)
What are the flights to Santorini in April?
For April here are the companies with direct flights to Santorini usually (these change every year so please double-check before booking anything):
(unfortunately, there are no direct flights from outside Europe to Santorini…you have to get off at Athens and then take another plane or ferry to Santorini)
April is usually the month when the flight operators start flights to Santorini (only from major European cities)
What are the ferries to Santorini in April?
Read my super-detailed guide for all the ferries in Santorini here:
April in Santorini is a great time to visit the island but you won’t be able to swim in the sea or enjoy the famous beach life of the island. The amazing volcano views and the sunset cruises will still be there and available for you to enjoy but the island will feel definitely much more quiet and relaxed. There are still things you can do in April such as hiking the path from Fira to Oia or even visiting the amazing Museum of the island. You will still be able to visit 1 or 2 wineries (Santowines is open throughout the year) and most importantly you might be able to catch the amazing Greek Easter celebrations of Good Friday in Pyrgos village if you are on the island at that time. In regards to accommodation, you should definitely stay in Fira as it is the liveliest town on the island at any time of the year. Oia and the other areas will feel very deserted and empty.
MORE TIPS ABOUT GREECE: