A Greece honeymoon is one of the best decisions you can take for an unforgettale experience, as Greece is considered one of the most romantic places in the world (for many good reasons). This is an honest guide from a greek to make your planning as easy and smooth as possible!
Ok, let’s get things straight: you are probably searching for the best honeymoon location or best honeymoon package for you and your other half, to get on an amazing trip.
You can probably go down the very obvious path: Hawaii, Maldives, Paris, Italy or the Carribean, but I can assure you that after you read this guide, you’ll want to put Greece on the top of your list.
BEST HONEYMOON HOTEL IN GREECE:
Andronis Luxury Suites (Santorini)
Greece has amazing mild meditteranean weather (like California) with 4 seasons, amazing culture, incredibly photogenic landscapes, romantic islands and one of the best local cuisines in the world.
If you decide to plan a honeymoon in Greece , then this guide has all the tips you need to know such as: when to visit Greece, most romantic hotels, where to stay in Greece, most romantic restaurants and the best things to do in your honeymoon in Greece.
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Let’s Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all Greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW
- Best Website to Book a Hotel in Greece: Booking.com (you are getting more options than Airbnb and it is usually cheaper than any other honeymoon package)
- Where is Greece: Greece is in Europe between Italy and Turkey (here it is on Google Maps)
- When to visit Greece for a honeymoon: the best summer weather (and also the high touristic season) in Greece is between and including May and October every year. During these months you will get the best hot sunny weather and almost no rain. This is when you sould also be able to swim in the sea. Any other time outside of these months the sea water is considered quite chilly. However, the best time to visit Greece for a honeymoon is May, June or September, October. Try to avoid July and August as these are the most touristic months with lots of crowds everywhere and high prices on everything. I do not recommend visiting Greece in the winter as you will be missing a lot of what the country has to offer as the weather can get pretty cold (0-10 degrees Celsius and windy) in the winter (November-March).
- Best Honeymoon Hotels in Greece: Andronis Luxury Suites (Santorini) , Cavo Tagoo (Mykonos), Coco-Mat (Athens)
- Where To Stay for a Honeymoon in Greece: your itinerary should definitely include a couple of days in Athens (most culturally rich place in Greece) and then of coure some of the most famous greek islands like Santorini, Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, Crete, Corfu, Rhodes (there are literally thousands of greek idlands but these are considered the most romantic)
- Shall I get a honeymoon package for Greece: No, No and No!! It is widely known that all hotels and travel agencies apply a “honeymoon tax” on these packages for no reason other than to rip off people. Do youself a favour and spend some time to do some research, book your hotels and your flights/transportation by yourself and you won’t regret it. You will save thousands…!
- What are the best greek islands for a honeymoon: the best greek islands for a honeymoon are Santorini, Mykonos and Crete but you can definitely consider Rhodes, Corfu, Paros, Naxos and Milos, as well.
- How To Get to Greece and to all the greek islands: unfortunately the greek islands don’t offer international flights outside of Europe (and these only run between April – October) so you should fly to Athens first, which is also convnient because Athens deserves a couple of days at least too. There are hundreds of flights to Athens International Airport “El. Venizelos” from the USA or anywhere else in the world. All flights become more frequent and avialable in the hot season (April-October). Then from Athens, you can either take a 45min flight (recommended) to any of the greek islands or just take a local ferry from Athens Piraeus or Rafina port (it usually takes anything between 3-12 hrs depending on the island but it’s also usually cheaper than the flight.
- How to Get from one greek island to the other: the best option is usually a ferry which can take you there in a few hrs (Let’s Ferry website is where you check and book your ferries in Greece). Note that not all greek islands are connected between themselves and in many cases you may have to go to Athens first and then take a flight or another ferry. Also, note that normally there are no available direct flights between greek islands but do your research because there were a few flights between Mykonos and Santorini some years ago and these might appear again.
- What’s the currency in Greece and how expensive it is: Greece’s currency is Euro and it is a relatively cheap destination, but do expect high prices at the premium places, hotels and restaurants…
- How Safe is Greece: Greece has traditionally very low crime rates and it is a relatively safe place to visit with millions of tourists (and honeymooners…) every year
- What are the best things to do in Greece: you obviously have to visit the amazing archaeological ruins, eat yummy greek food, go to a winery on an island, go an a mini cruise in the Aegean sea, swim in the sea (you will love the greek beaches) and obviously relax and enjoy the nice weather…
- How To Save Money at your Greece Honeymoon: there are basically 2 things you can do to save money and finally have a cheaper honeymoon in Greece; you can either visit off-season (any month outside of June, July, August, September) or visit a less touristic place or island (like Paros, Naxos or Milos) where the prices on accommodation are not super expensive.
So…without further ado, let’s dive into more details about your honeymoon in Greece:
Best Places to Visit In Your Greece Honeymoon
Before starting throwing lots of islands or beautiful beaches and towns with strange names it is rather wise of me to lt you understand a little bit about the geography (boring…!) of this amazing country called Greece (here it is on Google Maps).
So what are the best places to go in Greece?
If this is about your honeymoon, then you have to follow the famous greek itinerary:
…and that’s pretty much a week to 10 days honeymoon in Greece!
If you want to visit places in Greece that are probably less crowded and less touristic then I highly recommend these:
- Milos island (greeks call it the couples’ island!)
- Antiparos island (Tom Hanks’ spot)
- Naxos island (big island with beautiful beaches)
- Kefalonia island (on the west side of Greece with a greener landscape)
- Paros island (equally beautiful island with white washed houses and beautiful beaches)
Unfortunately, you cannot combine the islands on the west side (such as Corfu or Kefalonia or Zakynthos) with islands on the east (such as Santorini, Mykonos or Crete) because it is difficult to make it work logistically because they are not very well connected (you have to go through Athens, take a s and then a flight or a erry…). Don’t get me worng: it is doable but you will be wasting too much time on transportation.
What are the most romantic places to go in Greece?
Santorini island with its mesmerizing sunsets, white washed houses and unparalleled views is undoubtedly one of the most romantic places n Greece and in the world.
Mykonos island with its beautiful golden sandy beaches, the chilled out beach ars and the celebrity style accommodation and dining experiences.
In regards, to Athens, I wouldn’t necessarily call it romantic as it is a big city with lots of traffic and neighbourhoods, but it has its own charm with its famous archaeological ruins and museums.
But let me give you more details about these places and why I believe they are the best for your Greece honeymoon:
Chances are your flight is landing in Athens (especially if you are coming from the US) but even if that is not the case, I strongly advise you to visit Athens for a couple of nights. Especially if this is your first time in Greece.
MOST ROMANTIC HOTELS IN ATHENS:
MOST ROMANTIC THINGS TO DO IN ATHENS:
MOST ROMANTIC RESTAURANTS IN ATHENS:
- Aleria Restaurant (Google Maps)
- Orizontes Lycabbetus Restaurant (Google Maps)
- Point a Restaurant (Google Maps)
Santorini is one of the most famous honeymoon destinations in the world for many very good reasons. But what stands out the most is its incredibly photogenic views, the mesmerising sunsets and the stunning hotels and pools on the white washed cliffs. Nothing beats that for a honeymoon! In fact, you can easily have your whole honeymoon in Santorini and be super happy about it.
READ ALSO: Where To Stay In Santorini
MOST ROMANTIC HOTELS IN SANTORINI:
MOST ROMANTIC THINGS TO DO IN SANTORINI:
- Sunset Cruise with food on board
- Winetasting with a Winery Tour
- Watch a movie under the stars
- Horse riding on the volcanic beach
MOST ROMANTIC RESTAURANTS IN SANTORINI:
- Metaxi Mas Restaurant (Google Maps)
- Andronis Lycabettus Restaurant (Google Maps)
- Kapari Restaurant (Google Maps)
Mykonos is one of the Europe’s hotspots for celebrities and wealthy peole. The island has an amazing boheme vibe and Mykonos beaches are some of the best in Greece. However, I do not recommend spending more than 2-3 nights in Mykonos because the island can be quite tiring as there are lots of parties going on (especially in July and August).
READ ALSO: Where To Stay In Mykonos
MOST ROMANTIC HOTELS IN MYKONOS:
MOST ROMANTIC THINGS TO DO IN MYKONOS:
MOST ROMANTIC RESTAURANTS IN SANTORINI:
Honestly, Greece is an amazing place and it would really make up for an unforgettable honeymoon. It’s not only the relaxed and romantic atmosphere that you can find in every greek island but it’s also the amazing food and wine, the culture, the locals and above all the true love for life that people in this magic place have. And you can’t easily beat that…
MORE TIPS FOR GREECE