This is going to be your terrace if you stay in Grace Hotel, which offers unparalleled views of Symi Town and the harbour
The Best Hotels in Symi are primarily located in Symi capital town that consists of the cute harbour and the picturesque upper town. Symi is a very small greek island with a small town with a very unique architecture and design. Symi is a very unique and beautiful island and if you are looking to visit it, then you will be in for a treat as it is one of the most quiet greek islands but with lots of history, lovely people and excellent family-run hotels.
BEST HOTEL IN SYMI: 1900 Hotel
BUT ALSO CHECK:
Symi belongs to the Dodecanese group of islands in southeastern Greece, which is on the north side of Rhodes and extremely close to Turkey. The island has nearly 3000 permanent residents and a pretty big ex-pats community of people from Europe that now call Symi their home after buying and restoring some of the typical (but ruined after WW2) old Symian houses.
Symi island is very far from Athens, and you can reach it by either taking a direct ferry to the island from Piraeus (it takes 12-14 hours ) or alternatively (and easier), just take a direct 45-minute flight from Athens to Kos or Rhodes and then a 30 minutes ferry to Symi. There is no airport on Symi Island, but Kos and Rhodes have plenty of direct flights to most European cities between May and October for the summer (always check Ferryhopper for the latest ferry schedules and Expedia for the most up-to-date flights to Greek islands).
If you really want to explore the island (not much to see and do, to be honest other than the lovely main town/harbour of Symi) you could rent a car . There is just 2 local buses but you have to call a number to get it. Most of the things you can see and do are located in Symi town and harbour but it might be worth renting a car for 1-2 days just to explore a few beaches that are within 15-20 minutes drive. You can also take a taxi to those areas but make sure you keep in contact with the taxi driver so that he comes to pick you up later.
Get my secrets for Greece in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Best Hotels in Symi
So, without further ado, let me show you the best hotels you can stay in on Symi Island:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT SYMI
- Best Area To Stay in Symi: The best area to stay in Symi is in or around Symi town and harbour as this is where all the life of the island is. See hotels in Symi Town
- Best Hotel in Symi: 1900 Hotel
- Best Villa in Symi: Royal Villa Pedi
- How many days do you need in Symi: the island is very small and it is highly recommended as an off-the-beaten-path destination, so if you finally decide to stay in Symi I highly suggest you stay at least 5 days and do…nothing
- How to Move Around in Symi: there is not much to the rest of the island other than a couple of cute beaches so I don’t think a car is necessary but you can definitely rent a car for 1-2 days to explore the island. On the other hand, Symi harbour and upper town is ideal for walking and I highly recommend you walk the lovely town up and down as much as possible.