Rethymno is usually the 3rd city or area that comes up when doing research on where to stay in Crete but it’s definitely one of the prettiest towns of the island and a very picturesque one.
The best hotels in Rethymno are some of the best in Crete and it’s not a secret that the Rethymno prefecture has some of the best beaches in Crete such as Bali, Preveli or Plakias.
BEST HOTEL IN RETHYMNO CRETE: Rimondi Boutique Hotel
There are lots of awesome hotels to choose from in Rethymno and my list below is only having the ones that stand out and have the best online reviews. There are stunning hotels in Rethymnon for every type of traveler such as a couple, for honeymoon, for families or even for solo travelers.
Get my secrets for Greece and Crete in your email !
There are plenty of luxury hotels, family resorts but also small b&b’s that are run by local families and owners in Rethymnon. I suggest you stay in Rethymno town though.
Bear in mind that Rethymno comes in many different names because of the greek translation fo the word “Rethymno” or “Ρέθυμνο” as it is in greek. So, you may find it as Rethimno, Rethymno, Rethimnon or even Réthymnon in many cases. they are all the same town or area really.
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW FOR RETHYMNO :
- Best Website to Book a Hotels in Rethymno: Booking.com (more options than Airbnb…even for private villas to rent on the island ; just apply the correct filter on the search results)
- Best Hotel in Crete: Domes Noruz Chania Hotel
- Best Villa in Crete: Winehill Villa
- Best Family Hotel in Crete: Creta Maris Beach Resort
- Rethymno is the 3rd biggest town of Crete and it is one of the oldest and most beautiful towns of the island. Rethymno sits between Chania and Heraklion and it’s pretty much 1 hour drive away from both towns. Rethymno is also a
- Where to Stay in Crete: Unless you are staying in an all-inclusive resort or at a unique villa, then you would definitely need a car on the island and more than 5 days in total. The best area to stay in Crete is the western part of the island or the “Chania prefecture”, as it has the most picturesque villages, the gorgeous Samaria Gorge, the beautiful beaches of Balos, Falassarna, Platanias, Elafonissi and obviously the most picturesque town of Crete which is Chania old town
- Where Are the Best Hotels in Crete: the best hotels in Crete are scattered everywhere on the island but Elounda beach area and the beachfront towns of Heraklion prefecture have the most impressive resorts.
What is the best area to stay in Rethymnon??
The best area to stay in Rethymno is the old town of Rethymno where you would be able to stay in a very picturesque neighborhood of the town while having amazing sea views. Rethymno is a very cute town and it really feels like a less touristic Chania in a way. The old town has a very unique feeling to it and chances are that your balcony will be on top of a very little alley or even looking at the port of the town. Alternatively, Bali (or Balion) is also a great area outside of the main old town of Rethymno, which is ideal for relaxation and calmness. Bali has some of the best resorts on the island.
Which is nicer Rethymnon or Chania?
Chania is definitely better than Rethymnon in almost everything, as it has many more options in hotels and many more things to do and explore. Chania is the best area to stay in Crete, especially if it’s your first time in Crete, hands down. However, Rethymno can be a great option for families and in general for people who are looking for a more quiet place to stay in order to avoid the tourist crowds. Rethymno is also a university town with a big university and lots of life even in the winter months (when most of the tourists are pretty much gone). Rethymno is definitely smaller than Chania and Heraklion and you may also find it more welcoming and easier to walk and navigate if that’s your thing.
Is Rethymnon worth visiting?
Rethymno is definitely worth visiting even you are not staying there. It sits literally between Chania and Heraklion and apart from having a very cute and picturesque old town and harbor, it is very close to some of the best archaeological sites of Crete such as Phaestos and Gortys but also pretty close to the famous beaches of Plakias and the tropical landscape of Agia Preveli beach (they are on the same prefecture so it’s an easy bus trip). Rethymno is usually a 1 hr bus trip from Chania or Heraklion so it is ideal for a day trip.
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
So…without further ado, let’s see the Best Hotels in Rethymno:
I believe that the best hotel in Rethymno is Rimondi Boutique Hotel but there are literally hundreds of fantastic hotels in the Rethymno old town and in the Rethymnon prefecture. The great thing about Rethymno is that it is between Chania and Heraklion and it has some of the best beaches in Crete, so it is basically ideal if you want to explore the island and find hidden places to go. But even if you are not staying in Rethymno or close to Rethymno then the old town is a great opportunity for a day trip since it’s very easily to reach from either Chania or Heraklion. No matter where you stay in Crete , you will have an amazing time as Crete is the most diverse and unique island of Greece.