The Cycladic minimalism of Provalma Hotel in Folegandros competes directly with the best hotels in Santorini
The Best Hotels in Folegandros are primarily located in Folegandros Chora (the island’s capital), in the beach town of Karavostasi, Agali or the lovely Ano Meria area. Folegandros is a typical small Cyclades island with a lovely capital town that is referred to in many greek songs as one of the cutest and most romantic. There are obviously no massive all-inclusive resorts in Folegandros but rather small family-run boutique hotels with excellent service and lovely owners.
BEST HOTEL IN FOLEGANDROS: Provalma Hotel
BUT ALSO CHECK:
Folegandros belongs to the Cyclades group of islands in the central Aegean Sea, and it’s famous for its lovely white-washed capital town called Chora. The island has a very rough terrain (typical for a Cyclades island) and is relatively small with a few noticeable beaches that are mostly covered with pebbles, stones and rocks. To be honest, Folegandros is not an island that you visit for its beaches but mostly for its picturesque and romantic Chora town.
Folegandros island is not that far from Athens, and you can reach it by taking a ferry from Piraeus (it takes 5-9 hours depending on the ferry you take). If you cannot find a ferry that goes directly to Foelgandros then it’s because their summer routes have not been announced yet. There are a lot more ferries connecting the greek islands between April and October (summer season). There is no airport on Folegandros Island, so taking the ferry is your only option really (always check Ferryhopper for the latest ferry schedules and Expedia for the most up-to-date flights to Greek islands).
I honestly don’t think you need a car in Folegandros, as you will mostly move in or around Chora town. There are local buses that can take you to the nearby beaches, but you’ll be more flexible if you rent a car, obviously.
Get my secrets for Greece in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Best Hotels in Folegandros
So, without further ado, let me show you the best hotels you can stay in on Folegandros Island:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT FOLEGANDROS
- Best Area To Stay in Folegandros: The best area to stay in Folegandros is in or around Chora because it is where everything happens on the island. See hotels in Folegandros Chora
- Best Hotel in Folegandros: Provalma Hotel
- Best Villa in Folegandros: Makarias Villa
- How many days do you need in Folegandros: the island is pretty small and with not that many things to see and do apart from the lovely capital town Chora so I would say 3 days should be enough
- How to Move Around in Folegandros: I don’t think you need a car in Folegandros island as you will mostly be doing things in or around Chora Town; the few times you would need to visit another beach you can always take the local bus which is pretty good.