If you stay at the wonderful Melograno Villas you will have amazing views to the famous Astypalea Castle
The Best Hotels in Astypalaia (or Astypalea) are usually close to the main town of Astypalaia, where the famous Castle of the island is. Astypalaia is a relatively small island with one of the cutest towns in Cyclades, lots of history and (surprise, surprise!) an airport, that connects the island to Athens only! Most of the hotels on the island are small and probably fall into the “boutique hotel” category, so don’t expect to find any large and all-inclusive resorts in this cute island.
BEST HOTEL IN ASTYPALAIA: Melograno Villas
BUT ALSO CHECK:
Astypalaia (or Astypalea) belongs to the Cyclades group of islands in the Aegean sea , and it’s a very unique island as it’s literally closer to Rhodes for example than it is to Andros (another Cyclades island). However, the island is famous for its unique artistic and boho vibes which also make it a top romantic destination for those looking for an off-the-grid island.
Astypalea island is quite far from Athens, and you can reach it by taking an overnight ferry from Piraeus (it takes 8 hours ) or alternatively (and easier), just take a direct 1-hour flight from Athens only. There 2 to 3 direct flights per week to Astypalea from Athens, but no international flights as its airport is pretty small (always check Ferryhopper for the latest ferry schedules and Expedia for the most up-to-date flights to Greek islands).
I believe you need a car in Astypalaia, as there are lots of areas to see and explore. There local buses, will take you everywhere on the island but you will definitely be more flexible with your own means of transportation.
Get my secrets for Greece in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Best Hotels in Astypalaia
So, without further ado, let me show you the best hotels you can stay in on Astypalea Island:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT ASTYPALAIA
- Best Area To Stay in Astypalaia: The best area to stay in Astypalea is in or around Astypalaia Chora (or Old Town) as it is the liveliest area with a lovely castle. See hotels in Astypalaia Town
- Best Hotel in Astypalaia: Melograno Villas
- Best Villa in Astypalaia: Kallidora Home
- How many days do you need in Astypalaia: the island is a relatively small greek island but with many things to see and do so I would suggest that you stay at least 5 days in Astypalea
- How to Move Around in Astypalaia: you can definitely use the local buses but as for a greek island, my advice is to rent your own vehicle (preferably a car) so that you explore it in the most flexible way on your own pace. There are also taxis on the island that can take you anywhere but this can be proven quite expensive at the end.