LaLiBay Resort is nested in a beautiful pine forest on Aigina island
The Best Hotels in Aegina island (or Egina or even Aigina) are scattered all over this cute island that is only a 40-minute ferry from Piraeus ferry port. In fact, Aegina is one of the best greek islands near Athens and it has traditionally been the perfect holiday island for Athenians. The main reason is that it’s very close to Athens and it’s relatively cheap to get and stay there. Aigina is a very family-friendly greek island with small family-run hotels, one of the most well-preserved ancient greek temples and a very relaxing vibe overall.
BEST HOTEL IN AEGINA: LaLiBay Resort
BUT ALSO CHECK:
Aegina belongs to the Saronic Gulf islands (along with Hydra, Spetses and Poros), and it’s one of the best islands to visit near Athens, with thousands of years of history and a scenic landscape full of pine trees and sandy beaches. The island does not have any massive all-inclusive resorts but rather small boutique hotels that mostly cater to families. Egina island is ideal for a long weekend relaxing holidays and if you are visiting Athens for any reason, it might also be ideal for you.
Aegina island is very close to Athens, and you can reach it by taking a 40-minute ferry from Piraeus (it takes 12-13 hours ). There is no airport on the island as there is no need for it since the island is literally in the doorstep of Athens (always check Ferryhopper for the latest ferry schedules and Expedia for the most up-to-date flights to Greek islands).
This is an island with lots to see and do, so I think you will be better off renting a car, as there are lots of areas to explore. There are very good local buses in Egina, but you’ll obviously be more flexible if you rent a car, in my opinion. There are also lots of taxis on the island that can take you everywhere.
Get my secrets for Greece in your email!
RECOMMENDED WEBSITES FOR GREECE:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Athens, Santorini , Mykonos & Crete (more than Airbnb!)
Ferryhopper is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini, Mykonos , Crete & all greek islands
Get Your Guide has the best and largest variety of Tours in Athens and the greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete etc)
Rentalcars is the easiest way to rent a car or a quad for Greece with thousands of available options
Expedia has all the available flights to and from the greek islands
Best Hotels in Aegina
So, without further ado, let me show you the best hotels you can stay in on Aegina Island:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT AEGINA
- Best Area To Stay in Aegina: The best area to stay in Aegina is in or around Aegina Town where most of the amenities, restaurants and the best overall vibes are. See hotels in Aegina Town
- Best Hotel in Aegina: LaLiBay Resort
- Best Villa in Aegina: Villa Elmar
- How many days do you need in Aegina: the island is not that big but it’s ideal for a week’s holiday unless you are really into island-hopping mood close to Athens so 3 days should be enough
- How to Move Around in Aegina: this is a relatively small greek island but there are many things to see, so you should be better off renting a car; the local buses are very reliable and can take you around (but not everywhere though)