The Best and Worst Time Of The Year to Visit Santorini
Santorini is not the same every month of the year…it has its ups and downs
So…the best and the worst time of the year for you to visit Santorini, really depends on what you are looking for, from your holidays in this little greek gem.
If you visit Santorini with your bikini in the middle of January then there is something wrong with you… (eventhough you may get sunny weather and 20C degrees – and some swimming pools are heated).
Also, if you pack your UGG boots for Santorini in July then there is also something seriously wrong with you… S
- Best Time for beaches, swimming and hot weather (more than 30C during the day): June, July, August, September
- Best Time for honeymoon: June (I’m explaining below why…)
- Best Time for activities, hiking, wine-tasting, restaurants and mild sunny weather: May, October
- Best Time for partying, buzz, crowds: July, August, early September
- 15th of August: massive celebration in Greece and a Bank Holiday (St.Mary’s day)
- Greek Easter: usually within April (check here)
- Many businesses, hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars close: between and including November-March
- Most crowded month of the year for Santorini: August
Keep reading…there is more!
Read Also Our Other Recommendations for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and private villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Where to Stay in Santorini? (the most complete guide you will ever read)
- The Top 10 Best Hotels near Oia’s Famous Sunset (do not lower your expectations…it’s better than any picture you’ve seen)
- The 20 Best Luxury and Boutique Hotels of Santorini (nothing less than amazing service and luxury at its best)
- The 20 Best Infinity Pools in Santorini (you’ve probably already seen some of these all over instagram!)
- The 25 Most Stunning Villas To Rent in Santorini (private pools, stunning sunset views and…high prices…!)
First, let’s see how crowded the island is during the year:
(the following numbers are not official statistics but more of a feeling after visiting the island for many years and in different months)
January: 10% crowded – (Low Season – many restaurants, hotels and businesses will be closed, beaches will be empty but the island is not “dead”…Fira is the best place to stay, eat and entertain yourself)
February: 10% crowded – (Low Season – many restaurants, hotels and businesses will be closed, beaches will be empty but the island is not “dead”…Fira is the best place to stay, eat and entertain yourself)
March: 20% crowded – (Low Season – but slightly more people start to visit the island as the high season approaches, many restaurants, hotels and businesses will be closed or just about to open, beaches will probably be empty but the island is definitely not “dead”…Fira is the best place to stay, eat and entertain yourself)
April: 40% crowded – (High Season – the beggining of the high season and most restaurants, beach bars, cafes and businesses open in April as it is also the Greek Easter and lots of Greeks visit the island to start preparing for the high season)
May: 70% crowded – (High Season – All of the businesses of the island will be 100% open and operational but the island is still not full, the beaches are getting busier every day and the weather is awesome)
June: 90% crowded – (High Season – almost at full capacity but not yet super busy…everything will be open and super fun!)
July: 100% crowded – (High Season – the heart of the high season and when the island gets super busy and crowded, but still you will have a great time while the weather is super hot – do expect to spend most of your time on the beach or the swimming pool – not as busy as in August though)
August: 110% crowded – (High Season – the busiest month for Santorini, try to avoid if possible because everything becomes more complicated and takes more time)
September: 90% crowded – (HIgh Season – it will still feel like the long tail of Aigust some times but it will get less busy at the end of the month – weather still feels like summer! See also below)
October: 70% crowded (High Season – the weather gets colder but you can still possibly enjoy a swim in the sea or the pool – for many of the businesses October is their last operational month)
November: 30% crowded (Low Season – the early days of winter and the month where the weather gets considerably colder – many businesses, hotels and restaurants might be closed)
December: 10% crowded (Low Season – the heart of the low season and one of the coldest months in Santorini, no swimming, many closed businesses but always an amazing landscape and wild beauty)
To put it simply:
November-December-January-February-March: Low Season/some businesses will be closed
April-May-September-October: High Season / all businesses will be open
June-July-August: Super HIgh Season / all businesses open
(it is true that the last years, the Super High Season has started to extend in late May and early September and I do believe this trend will continue till the whole of the year is basically high season for the island)
So, let’s see one by one all of your options, shall we?
1. When Should I visit Santorini if I am looking for hot weather, swimming at the beaches or pools and I basically want to be with flip-flops all day…?
The hottest weather in Santorini is in June, July, August, September but even May and October are pretty hot – (see our Santorini Weather Guide).
In October the sea water will probably be warmer than in May as it has been warmed all summer.
Try to avoid July and August as much as possible because the island is super crowded and the shops are always very busy.
It’s not that you won’t have a great time…it’s just that you might not be able to walk on the streets of Oia at sunset time because of the thousands of people…
I always visit the island between mid-September till mid-October and the weather feels really nice to swim. The businesses as still open.
Most businesses (restaurants, hotels, cafes, beach bars) of the island close at the end of October.
Answer: if swimming and great weather is your only concern then mid to end September and early October is the best time for you!
Yeap… They are all there for the same reason…to see the sunset… Top Santorini Secret: avoid July and August as much as possible. In our opinion September/October are the best months to visit #santorini. Weather is still hot. Sea waters still warm from the summer. Locals are much more relaxed…. You will enjoy the place much more… You can thank us anytime! #santorini #santorinisecrets #greece #greek
2. When Should I visit Santorini if my only concern is sightseeing, hiking, wine tasting and great food but not with bad or super hot weather?
April, May, October and November (for most of the time) have awesome weather with low chances of rain and tempratures around 15-20 degress and mostly sunny.
You’ve seen the amazing wineries of Santorini.
You’ve seen the best things you can do on the island.
You are not really a big fan of swimming or weather that makes you sweat if you walk 5 mins and it’s absolutely fine for you if you don’t wear a t-shirt, shorts and bikinis 24/7.
Answer: if you are the person above then you should better visit Santorini in April, May or October
3. When should I visit Santorini if I want to have all the buzz, the nightlife and the awesome beach parties and the fun?
July and August is when everything really happens on the island.
If you are going to party, you will do it in these 2 months (and it’d be awesome!)
Answer: July and August (and early September…)
4. When should I visit Santorini if I am a solo traveller?
It really depends again on what you are looking for from your travel.
Answer: if you are looking to meet people (possibly hook up…) or just networking then July and August is the best. If you are looking to see the place but not being super lonely then I would say June or September is the best option for you.
5. When should we visit Santorini if we are a couple on our honeymoon?
I suppose you don’t really care who else is on the island since you will only have eyes for each other, right? 🙂
But on the other hand you wouldn’t like the island to be packed with people or not being able to find a table at one of the best restaurants of the island, would you?
Answer: I believe June or September is the best for you. Not too crowded and not too empty. Not too hot but not too cold so that you won’t be able to cuddle in your outdoor pool.
6. When should I visit Santorini if I am looking for the cheapest hotels and flights?
Answer: You should look for any off season deals which means any date between November-March. However, you may find some good deals in April and October as well.
7. When should I visit Santorini for island hopping ?
If the main purpose of visiting Santorini is to use it ayour base to visit other greek islands then you need a time when you will get the most available options of flights and ferries between the islands.
Read Also: 4 Amazing Greek Islands Near Santorini
Also, bear in mind that other greek islands are not that crowded as Santorini or Mykonos and the high season will be absolutely normal (you won’t be alone but you won’t have hordes of tourists around you). So…
Answer: June, July, August and September are the best months to do your island hopping in Greece. But especially in July and August you should expect lots of crowds in Santorini and Mykonos as well. Other greek islands (Naxos, Paros, Ios, Milos) won’t be that crowded.
8. When should I visit Santorini if we are a family with kids?
Santorini is a very family and kids friendly place to spend your holidays.
So, if you are coming with the kids you’d probably want to spend your time close to a beach like Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos where the hotels and the restaurants have lots of amenities.
You also don’t want the weahter to be crazy hot.
Answer: it’s better if you visit Santorini in May, June or September to avoid the crowds and the super hot weather
Recommended Websites for Hotels, Ferries, Flights and Car Rentals for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Let's Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini & all greek islands
- Expedia has all the available flights from Athens or other European cities to Santorini (Santorini Airport Code: JTR)
Highest Rated Hotels in Santorini:
Best Hotel in Oia: Maregio Suites
Best Hotel in Fira: Cosmopolitan Suites
Best Hotel in Imerovigli: Grace Santorini
Best Hotel in Firostefani: Tsitouras
Best Hotel in Perivolos: Orabel Suites
Best Hotel in Perissa: Anastasia Princess
Best Hotel in Kamari: Sunrise Studios
Highest Rated Private Villas in Santorini:
Best Villa in Oia: Anemi House
Best Villa in Fira: Anteliz Villa
Best Villa in Kamari: Eolia Villa
Best Villa in Pyrgos: Sensation Villa
Best Villa in Akrotiri: Cavo Ventus
Best Villa in Firostefani: Villa Aura
Best Villa in Imerovigli: Grace Villa
Our Readers Said:
"Just added this to my favourites!"
"I don't know if I will have to go anywhere else for information!"
"Better than a travel guide!"
CHECK OUR OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms & private villas in Santorini (even more than Airbnb)
WHO ARE WE:
SantoriniSecrets.com is the largest and most informative website for all things Santorini maintained by local travel bloggers who love Greece and its islands more than anything else in this world. Some of us were actually born in Santorini and some others have spent many months not only visiting the island but actually living on it for long periods of time. We are not just visitors.
We consider ourselves the tipsters of this magical place.
WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SANTORINI:
- BEST HOTELS IN SANTORINI (the best and worst areas to stay, where to stay if you are a solo traveller, the best honeymoom hotels etc)
- SANTORINI FOR FOODIES (artisanal wineries, secret restaurants, best street food and more)
- EXPERIENCE SANTORINI (things to do, secrets spots, best sunsets, secret bars and clubs, hiking, activities, tours)
Read our super detailed guide to find out what you should expect and what you need to pack!
Follow Us On Instagram!
Winetasting is one the best things you can do in Santorini. This is the Best Wine-tasting guide you'll ever need for Santorini. Directions, Maps, Opening Hours, Websites and everything else you need for the best wine experience in Santorini.
Caldera-volcano views? Awesome greek food? Romantic terraces? Amazing service? World class chefs? That's all I need!
Not your everyday villas. These for the lucky few….with private pools and jacuzzis, massive spaces to sleep more than 4 people and ridiculously photogenic locations with breathtaking views.
The island is not the same every month of the year. If you want to know how crowded it will be, then you need to read this.