Mykonos vs Santorini (or maybe another greek island?)
Chances are you are trying to figure out which greek island is better for you to visit, right? Here is the Ultimate Comparison Guide to help you decide this year.
As you know, Greece has no shortage of amazing islands to visit.
Did you know that there are actually more than 2000 islands?
Only about 200 of them are inhabited, so that narrows it down a bit, but still… I know how hard it can be to choose one to visit for your holidays.
So where should you go?
The most popular answer to this question would be Mykonos and/or Santorini, right?
These two are the most famous Greek islands and possibly the most beautiful ones.
So, yes you should go see them for yourself! If you can visit them both, that is even better!
But what happens If you only have to choose one? Which one should it be?
Both islands are amazing and I am sure you would have a great time in either one of them.
But let me get this straight to you:
If there is only one greek island you have to visit in your life then make it Santorini.
You won’t regret it.
It’s not that you won’t have a good time in Mykonos, it’s just that Santorini is much more diverse and it has a truly unique lansdcape.
I have been to both places and I loved them both – for very different reasons.
However, if you are struggling to decide, here is my comparison to help you out a bit.
Read Also Our Other Recommendations for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and private villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Where to Stay in Santorini? (the most complete guide you will ever read)
- The Top 10 Best Hotels near Oia’s Famous Sunset (do not lower your expectations…it’s better than any picture you’ve seen)
- The 20 Best Luxury and Boutique Hotels of Santorini (nothing less than amazing service and luxury at its best)
- The 20 Best Infinity Pools in Santorini (you’ve probably already seen some of these all over instagram!)
- The 25 Most Stunning Villas To Rent in Santorini (private pools, stunning sunset views and…high prices…!)
So, let’s see which island is better on every case, shall we?
Best Island for Attractions, Museums & Sightseeing: Santorini
Why: If you are looking for a destination with many things to do and places to discover, then Santorini is clearly a better choice than Mykonos. Santorini is not just not just beautiful beaches and tropical cocktails but a mosaic of cultural experience like any other in the world.
- Santorini is really diverse.
- Mykonos has nothing more to offer outside of the triangle beach-party-food (nothing wrong with it though…).
- In Santorini you can do wine tasting in one of the 16 wineries of the island
- Santorini has more than 10 amazing museums or archaeological sites (including Akrotiri Prehistoric Site, a Tomato Industrial Museum, Museum of Prehistoric Thera, Archaeological Museum, Folklore Museum, Santozeum, Gyzi Mansion, Wine Museum, Art Space Gallery, Maritime Museum, Ancient Thera Site and a Museum of Fossils at Perissa)
- Mykonos has Delos island which is not really in Mykonos as it’s a different island. There are a few interesting museums in Mykonos but nothing really special (apart from Delos island which is awesome and really unique as a UNESCO heritage site). There is the Archaeological Museum of Delos, the Archaeological Museum of Mykonos, Lena’s Folklore Museum and the Maritime Museum of Mykonos.
- Santorini has some amazing traditional cycladic villages like Fira, Pyrgos, Megalochori, Emporio and of course the incredible Oia town (which can easily be the only reason to visit Santorini anyways…).
- Mykonos apart from the main town called “Chora” (Mykonos City) which is lovely and very picturesque (with the amazing “Little Venice”) has nothing more to offer in terms of picturesque and traditional villages. You are basically limited to Mykonos City only.
- Santorini has 5 Venetian Castles and fortresses.
- Mykonos has none of this but it has the cutest mascot: a pelican named “Petros”
- Santorini has an active volcano with one of the largest craters in the world, where you can actually take a tour on (!). You don’t get to see that everyday and it is the characteristic that makes Santorini’s landscape so dramatic and impressive.
Best Island for Beaches: Mykonos
Why: If you are a beach person and you imagine your holidays to be spent on the beach with your toes in the sand, then Mykonos is just the place for you. Let’s be honest here. Santorini is awesome but Mykonos has amazing tropical golden sand beaches
- Santorini has only volcanic pebbles beaches (there is a red, black and white beach). These are very impressive to be honest but you won’t find any fine sand beaches in Santorini due to the volcanic stones that are scattered all over the island.
- Mykonos has more than 20 amazing sandy beaches with crystal clear turquoise waters. You can find a gay friendly beach, a cosmopolitan beach, beaches for nudism, beaches for partying, beaches for families and even quiet and relaxing beaches where you’ll basically be alone.
- Santorini’s sea waters can be quite deep. It is the kind of sea, where you take one step, two steps.. and you are in! No time to think about it.
- Mykonos sea waters can be quite shallow and are perfect for kids or seniors. It’s the type of beaches I like where you can walk and walk and you get to a point where you will be wondering “when is this sea water getting deeper?”
Best Island for the Romantic Ones: Santorini
Why: This one is easy I think. If you are looking for a romantic destination, well…stop looking. You found it. It’s Santorini.
- Santorini is considered one of the most romantic destinations in the world and one of the top destinations for honeymooners. For a lot of good reasons: sunsets, views, food, cute villages…what else do you need?
- Mykonos was always considered a destination for singles rather than a destination for couples. That doesn’t mean you won’t have a good time if you visit Mykonos with your other half. Quite the opposite I would say.
Best Island for Partying & Nightlife: Mykonos
Why: Are you and your friends looking for a place to party? Then you should go to Mykonos. Hands down it’s one of the best partying and clubbing destinations in the world. It’s the greek Ibiza!
- Mykonos is considered one of the best clubbing and partying destinations in the world. The nightlife in Mykonos is u-n-r-e-a-l and it’s not limited only at night time. The party literally never stops at Mykonos City or at any of the beach Bars of the island (including the famous Super Paradise Beach Club)
- Some of the best DJ’s in the world perform every summer in Mykonos
- Mykonos is the place where greek spring breakers go every year…
- If you are single while visiting Mykonos and you are into party mode then you won’t get much sleep as the party goes on 24/7 (especially in high season May-October)
- Santorini has a decent nightlife but it’s literally nothing compared to Mykonos…
Most gay friendly island: Mykonos
Why: Mykonos is also super super gay friendly- not that not that Santorini is anti-gay but Mykonos is famous for its gay bars and overall gay-friendliness.
- Mykonos is considered one the most gay friendly destinations in the world, with people arriving to the island since the 60’s.
- In Mykonos you will find some of the most gay friendly bars (who doesn’t know the famous Jackie O’ Bar?) and gay friendly beaches in Greece (and possibly in the world)
- Mykonos even has some amazing drag shows.
- There are no designated gay bars or beaches in Santorini. But this doesn’t mean that the island is not gay-friendly.
Best island for wine lovers: Santorini
Why: If you are looking to combine your holidays with wine tasting or any other thing wine-related, come to Santorini.Santorini is one of the best wine destinations in Europe and home to the oldest vineyard you will find in the continent.
- Santorini is considered the most unique (and underrated I have to say…) wine destinations in the world
- Santorini has more than 16 Wineries and Wine Tours you can take. The wine tasting experience usually includes amazing views, amazingly refreshing local wine and greek meze/nibbles.
- Mykonos has only 2 pretty small wineries (this one and this one)
- Santorini’s wineries are top world venues for weddings because of their romantic settings and the stunning views
- Santorini has 1 of the 10 wine museums in the world (this one)
- The most famous local wine of Santorini is “Assyrtiko” variety which has received hundreds of awards all over the world. You can also taste the sweet port-like wine of Santorini called “Vinsanto”
- Santorini has this winery.
Best island for foodies: Santorini
Why: That’s a tough one to be honest but I believe that Santorini wins that one on the finish line because of the amazing views sme of its best restaurants have to offer. You don’t find that in Mykonos or elsewhere in Greece in such a volume. Plus: the amazing and booming wineries scene of Santorini
Most Expensive island: both!
Why: Both Santorini and Mykonos are super expensive (compared to other greek islands or other holiday destinations). Probably because they are so famous.But that does not mean that you you can only visit if you are super rich or that you have to save money for a lifetime to come over. You can visit both islands on a budget and still have a great time.
There are great offers if you come off season and cheap choices when it comes to food and accommodation.
You just need to do a bit of research.
This way you will also avoid the crowds and get a bit more privacy.
Best island for shopping: Mykonos
Why: Some of the most luxurious and well-known brands in the world have exclusive branches in Mykonos. Mykonos is a well known celebrities hotspot, too!
Best island for seniors or people with disabilities: Mykonos
Why: Santorini’s difficult terrain and thousand stairs villages are not the best for people with disabilities or seniors… Mykonos is pretty flat though and the amazing sandy flat beaches will be great for everyone (including kids). It’s not that seniors or people with disabilities won’t enjoy Santorini but I if you belong to this category then you’d better stay close to a beach (like Perissa/Perivolos or Kamari)
Here is a table to sum it all up:
|More attractions and sights||✔|
|Ideal for:||Groups of friends||Couples|
|Best unique thing you can Do:||Enjoy the sandy beaches and the amazing parties||Enjoy the dramatic views|
|Best advice I can give you:||Rent a car||Rent a car|
Which one finally wins in your opinion?
I am sure you would enjoy both, they actually compliment each other quite well if you think about it.
You could spend a few days in Santorini to enjoy the views,the sunsets and the romantic atmosphere and then head to Mykonos and enjoy the beach life there- along with a couple of drinks…possibly : )
Now if I had to choose just one, I would vote for Santorini. Why?
If there is only one greek island you have to visit, then make it Santorini. You won’t regret it.
It’s not that you won’t have a good time in Mykonos.
But Santorini is a really unique place that you have to see once in your lifetime, not only in terms of views, scenery, hotels, amenities, restaurants, bars and shopping but in terms of pure natural beauty.
After all, you don’t get to wake up to a volcano view every day….do you?
Besides Santorini and Mykonos?
Ok…now we have established that Santorini and Mykonos are the two most popular islands in Greece. Santorini for the unique views and the endless romantic feeling and Mykonos for the fantastic beaches and the superb nightlife.
If you have been to Santorini and Mykonos already and you are looking for another Greek Island to explore this time, I would suggest…….. (drum roll please) Crete!
Crete is a great choice because it offers diversity and a wonderful mix of history, tradition and breath-taking landscapes.
Basically Crete can match every taste. And it is the biggest island in Greece so you can take all the time you want to discover it.
I shouldn’t forget to mention that the food in Crete is tasty beyond your wildest imagination. They have their own specialties that will blow your mind!
What is there not to like?!
*Do keep in mind that you will be needing a car in Crete for sure as it’s a very big island.
I do hope my comparison helped you out a bit. As always, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
I strongly believe that no matter where you go in Greece, you will have a great time.
And I am not just saying that because I am Greek.
You will see, one time is never enough. The moment you land you will know you want to come back.
To wrap it up, my final advice to your dilemma “Mykonos or Santorini?” would be:
Well …. why don’t you come to Santorini this year and then go to Mykonos next year?
(Crete is scheduled for the year after 😀 )
* Christina from SantoriniPlus.net has contributed to this post
Recommended Websites for Hotels, Ferries, Flights and Car Rentals for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Let's Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini & all greek islands
- Expedia has all the available flights from Athens or other European cities to Santorini (Santorini Airport Code: JTR)
Highest Rated Hotels in Santorini:
Best Hotel in Oia: Maregio Suites
Best Hotel in Fira: Cosmopolitan Suites
Best Hotel in Imerovigli: Grace Santorini
Best Hotel in Firostefani: Tsitouras
Best Hotel in Perivolos: Orabel Suites
Best Hotel in Perissa: Anastasia Princess
Best Hotel in Kamari: Sunrise Studios
Highest Rated Private Villas in Santorini:
Best Villa in Oia: Anemi House
Best Villa in Fira: Anteliz Villa
Best Villa in Kamari: Eolia Villa
Best Villa in Pyrgos: Sensation Villa
Best Villa in Akrotiri: Cavo Ventus
Best Villa in Firostefani: Villa Aura
Best Villa in Imerovigli: Grace Villa
Our Readers Said:
"Just added this to my favourites!"
"I don't know if I will have to go anywhere else for information!"
"Better than a travel guide!"
CHECK OUR OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms & private villas in Santorini (even more than Airbnb)
WHO ARE WE:
SantoriniSecrets.com is the largest and most informative website for all things Santorini maintained by local travel bloggers who love Greece and its islands more than anything else in this world. Some of us were actually born in Santorini and some others have spent many months not only visiting the island but actually living on it for long periods of time. We are not just visitors.
We consider ourselves the tipsters of this magical place.
WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SANTORINI:
- BEST HOTELS IN SANTORINI (the best and worst areas to stay, where to stay if you are a solo traveller, the best honeymoom hotels etc)
- SANTORINI FOR FOODIES (artisanal wineries, secret restaurants, best street food and more)
- EXPERIENCE SANTORINI (things to do, secrets spots, best sunsets, secret bars and clubs, hiking, activities, tours)
Read our super detailed guide to find out what you should expect and what you need to pack!
Follow Us On Instagram!
Winetasting is one the best things you can do in Santorini. This is the Best Wine-tasting guide you'll ever need for Santorini. Directions, Maps, Opening Hours, Websites and everything else you need for the best wine experience in Santorini.
Caldera-volcano views? Awesome greek food? Romantic terraces? Amazing service? World class chefs? That's all I need!
Not your everyday villas. These for the lucky few….with private pools and jacuzzis, massive spaces to sleep more than 4 people and ridiculously photogenic locations with breathtaking views.
The island is not the same every month of the year. If you want to know how crowded it will be, then you need to read this.