15 Unique Things To Do In Santorini
So…Are you looking for Things To Do in Santorini ? Look no further!
I have handpicked the TOP 15 Things to do in my favourite island (yes…Santorini) this year:
(not really any major secrets here but…it’s always good to know the basics, right…? especially if you haven’t got much time on the island or if the visit is part of a cruise to the Greek islands)
Read Also Our Other Recommendations for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and private villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Where to Stay in Santorini? (the most complete guide you will ever read)
- The Top 10 Best Hotels near Oia’s Famous Sunset (do not lower your expectations…it’s better than any picture you’ve seen)
- The 20 Best Luxury and Boutique Hotels of Santorini (nothing less than amazing service and luxury at its best)
- The 20 Best Infinity Pools in Santorini (you’ve probably already seen some of these all over instagram!)
- The 25 Most Stunning Villas To Rent in Santorini (private pools, stunning sunset views and…high prices…!)
1. Go to the unique Red Beach
2. Visit the unique village of Oia
The idyllic village of Oia with its whitewashed houses and blue shutters is one of the most photographed places in Greece (and probably on earth!).
Situated on top of an impressive cliff, it boasts spectacular views over the volcano of Palia and Nea Kameni.
Wander among the maze of narrow streets with its blue domed churches and numerous art galleries and tavernas.
Watching the sunset from Oia is considered one of the most magical moments you can have in your life… (eventhough in July and in August might be super crowded)
If you live in a hotel near the sunset of Oia, then you are one of the lucky ones as you could literally enjoy it from your terrace or balcony in most of the cases.
3. Watch the sunset from Profitis Ilias hill top (yes…not from Oia)
Oia is said to have some of the most beautiful sunsets on earth, but as a matter of fact there are many spots on the island to take in the stunning pink and gold rays as the sun drops into the sea.
The village of Imerovigli with its panoramic views is one, as is Vlichada beach with its volcanic scenery.
They can be equally romantic and mesmerising….
However, our favourite spot is not one of the famous ones.
We prefer to watch the sunset from a different spot.
This spot is on the top of a hill on a place where a monastery exists.
It is called Profitis Ilias Monastery and it’s the highest point on the island.
The view from there is s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g !
4. Sleep (and even swim…) in a traditional cave house
Bed down in a cave house, a famed part of Santorinian architecture.
Cave houses or ‘yposkafa’ were historically built by island locals to protect themselves against gusty winds.
Now many have been converted by renowned architects into luxurious places to stay so…try these ones (if you can afford them though…).
5. Try (by any means…) local fava beans
Make sure you try the stunning local pureed fava beans that are drizzled with fresh red onions and olive oil.
It is considered one of the best in Greece!
Here is a list of all the amazing local products of Santorini you should try while on the island!
6.Go sailing and diving (you may discover Atlantis!)
7. Visit one of Santorini’s Amazing Wineries for the most unique wine tasting experience of your life
Wine production in Santorini dates back to Roman times and it is still one of the main local products of the island.
Here is our Ultimate Guide to Santorini Wineries. Possibly the most detailed you will ever find on the internet… 🙂
You won’t be dissappointed…trust us…!
8. Visit the amazing village of Pyrgos
9. Visit Akrotiri archaeological site and get lost in time…
Soak up some history at the site of Akrotiri, a once-buried Minoan city that has recently undergone extensive reconstruction work.
Wander the streets and squares of this prehistoric city that 30,000 people once called home and is often referred to as the ‘Pompeii of the Aegean.’
Santorini has some really unique castle and fortresses that are always open to public. Read more details in this post.
11. Swim at…the black beaches of Perissa and Perivolos
Perissa and Perivolos are basic the same long beach with tens of restaurants and bars options for you to basically spend the whole day!
This is where the Black Beach of Santorini is on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/ircWU8d5tgu
12. Hike the trail between Oia and Fira
This one can easily be the highlight of your trip to Santorini.
It’s roughly a 2.5-3 hours hiking trail which can be a bit steep at some points but it’s definitely worthwhile doing as it will reward you with some of the best views of the island.
Make sure you do the hiking early morning or late in the afternoon as in the summer it could be super hot and the sun may easily exhaust you.
Take plenty of water with you and plenty of sun cream and…off you go!
Here is the full detailed hiking path from Oia to Fira:
Or you can find even more details on this link.
13. Visit the amazing Ammoudi Bay
Ammoudi Bay is just a small picturesque bay just below Oia. This is where you will probably see some of the most crystal clear sea waters in your life!
You can go to Ammoudi by going down the stairs from Oia or by driving through the road and park a few meters before the bay.
This is Ammoudi on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xgvzsnMjBBS2
There are many tavernas and restaurans at Ammoudi Bay but we personally prefer Katina’s Taverna where you have to try seafood:
14. Swim at the “White Beach” (or “Vlychada”)
Apart from the famous Black and the unique Red Beach there is one more colour that Santorini’s beaches cover: white!
Not only Vlychada beach has some amazing geological volcanic formations but it is also one of the most quiet and peaceful beaches of the island.
Perfect for reading your summer book!
Here is Vlychada Beach (or White Beach) on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/wQ3wzGriz9k
15. Swim at the beautiful Kamari Beach
Apart from Perissa, Perivolos, Vlychada and Red Beach there is one more: Kamari Beach
This is the second most famous beach of Santorini and it is very well organised with all types of amenities, restaurants, sunbeds, umbrellas and beach bars.
You can even dive from the rock which is on the right of the beach and…diving is always super cool, right?
Recommended Websites for Hotels, Ferries, Flights and Car Rentals for Santorini:
- Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms and Private Villas in Santorini (more than Airbnb)
- Let's Ferry is the best website to book your ferry tickets or check the timetables for Santorini & all greek islands
- Expedia has all the available flights from Athens or other European cities to Santorini (Santorini Airport Code: JTR)
Highest Rated Hotels in Santorini:
Best Hotel in Oia: Maregio Suites
Best Hotel in Fira: Cosmopolitan Suites
Best Hotel in Imerovigli: Grace Santorini
Best Hotel in Firostefani: Tsitouras
Best Hotel in Perivolos: Orabel Suites
Best Hotel in Perissa: Anastasia Princess
Best Hotel in Kamari: Sunrise Studios
Highest Rated Private Villas in Santorini:
Best Villa in Oia: Anemi House
Best Villa in Fira: Anteliz Villa
Best Villa in Kamari: Eolia Villa
Best Villa in Pyrgos: Sensation Villa
Best Villa in Akrotiri: Cavo Ventus
Best Villa in Firostefani: Villa Aura
Best Villa in Imerovigli: Grace Villa
Our Readers Said:
"Just added this to my favourites!"
"I don't know if I will have to go anywhere else for information!"
"Better than a travel guide!"
CHECK OUR OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS:
Booking.com is the website with the most available rooms & private villas in Santorini (even more than Airbnb)
WHO ARE WE:
SantoriniSecrets.com is the largest and most informative website for all things Santorini maintained by local travel bloggers who love Greece and its islands more than anything else in this world. Some of us were actually born in Santorini and some others have spent many months not only visiting the island but actually living on it for long periods of time. We are not just visitors.
We consider ourselves the tipsters of this magical place.
WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SANTORINI:
- BEST HOTELS IN SANTORINI (the best and worst areas to stay, where to stay if you are a solo traveller, the best honeymoom hotels etc)
- SANTORINI FOR FOODIES (artisanal wineries, secret restaurants, best street food and more)
- EXPERIENCE SANTORINI (things to do, secrets spots, best sunsets, secret bars and clubs, hiking, activities, tours)
Read our super detailed guide to find out what you should expect and what you need to pack!
Follow Us On Instagram!
Winetasting is one the best things you can do in Santorini. This is the Best Wine-tasting guide you'll ever need for Santorini. Directions, Maps, Opening Hours, Websites and everything else you need for the best wine experience in Santorini.
Caldera-volcano views? Awesome greek food? Romantic terraces? Amazing service? World class chefs? That's all I need!
Not your everyday villas. These for the lucky few….with private pools and jacuzzis, massive spaces to sleep more than 4 people and ridiculously photogenic locations with breathtaking views.
The island is not the same every month of the year. If you want to know how crowded it will be, then you need to read this.